2018 PA Spring Rally

Discussion in 'Rallies Being Planned' started by phager76, Oct 1, 2017.

What dates should we hold the Rally?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2017.
  1. 4/6 - 4/8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 4/13 - 4/15 (Friday the 13th Muhahaha)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 4/27 - 4/29

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. 5/4 - 5/6 (Cinco De Mayo, Ole!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. crosbys2008

crosbys2008 Active Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Erie, PA
    If you could get me my site that would be great. Thanks. Site F30

2. Novarich

Novarich Member

Dec 8, 2014
    That would be great. I'm on 26, thanks

3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Vagov. If it is not to much problem a pic of site f-33 would be great. Thank you.

My FIL use to keep his trailer in the mines around Wampum.

4. tenttrailer

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    10 day until we are camping on Thursday. :) Just have to help the DW with the curtains, and a bunch of other things on my wish list.....

5. Salandrew

Salandrew Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Bolivar, PA
    So excited about camping next weekend. Just hope Mother Nature gets her act together. Sat in a meeting this morning and watched the rain turn to snow. Stop the insanity!!! Next weekend looks better. We will spend the weekend getting the jayco loaded and ready. Andy needs to fill the propane, just in case...
    John... picture of F31, please!

crosbys2008 likes this.
  6. tenttrailer

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Have we figured out the details of the potluck. Time and how many adults/children?

7. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    Never been to a rally...anyone feel like convincing me to drive 5 hours? lol

8. crosbys2008

crosbys2008 Active Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Erie, PA
    Ok, I'll try...
    Meet new friends
    Get questions answered (if you have any)
    Great food
    Great conversation
    Hot campfires
    You're camping
    See different campers
    Smell of the campfire
    Sound of laughter
    Comrade
    Oh, did I mention, your camping with new friends enjoying a great food and stories?

Salandrew and Matt Benoit like this.
  9. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    Thats a long drive...after doing suspension work this winter on the pup, i'd be nervous with that as my maiden voyage lol. Also, my old lady wouldn't be able to attend. Wouldn't it seem awkward for a solo guy? Seems like most of you have families and such. Guess i could bring the pup (4 legged) to keep me company.

10. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Conneaut, Ohio
    Shouldn't be awkward, last year my wife was at the campsite just the last morning. At a rally there only really two times where the attendees gather together. The first is Friday night at a meet and greet and Saturday for a potluck dinner. There is plenty to do around the Pittsburgh area.

crosbys2008 and Matt Benoit like this.
  11. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Conneaut, Ohio
    Saturday night the Pirates play the Phillies and after the game is fireworks night.

12. tenttrailer

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Dusty road, what does that mean? Is the ball park close to the campground to see the fire works?

13. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Conneaut, Ohio
    It was just a suggestion about things to do while near Pittsburgh.

14. So, Murphy's law - the TV is in the shop cause hubby was putting New brakes on the front and the brake lines blew. Then he attempted to open the PUP to prepare for next weekend and the rear lift cable broke. So at this point if we make it next weekend it'll be a miracle. And I'm changing hubbys name to Murphy, lol

15. tenttrailer

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    thank you.

16. phager76

phager76 Active Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Monongahela, PA
    Sorry for the radio silence the last week. Our cable modem pooped the bed, so I've been internet-less until today :(
    As for the Pot Luck, assuming Wade&Ricki can make it, I'm showing 13 confirmed adults and 8 confirmed children. I don't, however, have verification if @Novarich is flying solo or not, and no confirmation on any children for @HookingWings .

As for time of the Potluck, I'm going to shoot for around 5:30pm for a start time at our site (F28).

I still don't have verification on potluck contributions from the following folks:
    @Salandrew
    @crosbys2008
    @HookingWings
    @Novarich

If you're looking for suggestions, it looks like we're a little light on desserts and side dishes. I'm planning on attempting some dutch oven cobbler, but since it's my first time cooking with a DO, I don't hold out high hopes of it being good :D

I don't mind playing a little fast and loose with having the contributions listed out in the spreadsheet, but let's make sure everyone brings something.

It looks like Rob covered the salient points, Matt, but let me throw in that these rallies are a ton of fun! My first rally was in Maryland, which was about a 4 hour drive for us. I was a little worried, since I'm really not a social person, but it ended up being a blast. Even though I haven't attended the MD rally again (It was a little large for my tastes, and seemed like everyone broke off in to cliques), I still wouldn't hesitate to go to another one. I've been doing the SW PA rallies since John's (@vagov ) second one. and now we have a spring PA rally and a fall one that Rob hosts. I've made a lot of good friends thanks to these rallies, and I always make some new ones.

You're right that there are a lot of families that attend the SWPA rallies, but John tends to fly solo, although sometimes his wife will come as well, depending on her work schedule. So it's not at all unusual to come by yourself. If you decide you want to give it a go, we'd love to meet you! The fire's always warm, and there's always some cold ones in the cooler (Just don't tell the camp host or ranger :D ).

I'm really sorry to hear that. I've been there myself, I really hate all the salt on the roads around, it makes it so difficult to keep a car on the road, which is why my Excursion gets almost zero miles on it in the winter. It was a transplant from AZ, and I wan't to keep it rust free as long as I can.

Since we're now less then a week away from the rally, I just want to give a brief rundown of the itinerary.
    Friday evening we'll do a little meet and greet around 6 pm at our site (F28). We'll hang around the campfire (Assuming I can get one lit!) for a while and get to know one another. There's no set end time on this, as sometimes we get to talking and the hours just roll by!

The only other mandatory thing is the potluck, which as I said earlier, I'm planning to shoot for around 5:30. After we have all had our fill of delicious food, we'll a drawing for some door prizes and hang out around the fire until we're ready to call it a night.

That's pretty much it as far as forced socialization goes. The rest of the time, you all are welcome to do as you like. Raccoon creek has a ton of hiking trails and there's a lake with swimming, fishing and boating not far from the campground. I'll probably will be putting in our new Intex Excursion and see if we can catch any fish.

The weather is shaping up to be pretty nice:
    Rally_weather.png

It looks like there may be a little rain when I show up on Thursday, but hopefully that's the limit of my curse :D

I'm looking forward to seeing all my old friends and meeting some new ones as well!

crosbys2008 likes this.
  17. Weeeellll....it looks like ima gonna try to do the lift cable repair myself... TV is still in repair shop... so can't tow camper to a repair shop. Any links or guidance would be huge. 2011 Starcraft 1224.

18. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    Thanks for the encouragement about making the trip. Still tossing around the idea, lol. I do have a question for those that have been too, or live in the PA area: What is the elevation like in this area? Being from Michigan, everything is really flat...Although I've not had any issues with my TV, knowing that I'm close to my tow limit, I'd be concerned about driving up into "mountains"...I may be overthinking it, but it's still on my mind...and there are no brakes on my Pup! Thanks!

19. phager76

phager76 Active Member

Dec 1, 2013
    Monongahela, PA
    I think the only really steep area would be the actual road to the campground itself. Other then that there's no real severe grades that I can think of. I know if you head further east in to the Allegheny Mountains, most of the passes other then the turnpike have some pretty white knuckle areas if your tow vehicle is near it's max. I really wouldn't see much of an issue getting to this rally. On the other hand, I've spent most of my life west of the rockies, so any of the hills around here are a bit on the "meh" side :D

Off topic bit here:

I got the last of the work done on the pup today. Finished mounting up both battery boxes, so now I have a group 29 for the house battery, and then a box for a group 24 that I'll use with the trolling motor on the Intex Excursion. Kind of annoyed, because I went out and got the bolts, fender washers and lock washers, and then got home and realized I forgot the freaking nuts!!!!

I also fixed the bed bow which was easier then I feared but harder then I was hoping, if that makes any sense. First I marked where the ends of the repair tube would go, since I new I was going to have to cut out a section, it was critical that I make sure everything went back to the same size. You can see just how jacked up the center was:

20180421_142718.jpg

With everything marked, I drilled out the remaining rivets that covered the center plate which revealed the full extent of the damage:

20180421_142917.jpg

You can see that the aluminium had become so fatigued that it was tearing. At one point in time the notch in the middle was the hole that accepted the shepherds pole. Hmm I wonder why it kept falling out :D.

I cut out the center area, leaving one existing rivet hole on the streetside, to help facitate positioning the sleeve to keep the new hole in the correct location. In addition, you can see where I marked the edges of the sleeve so I could make sure that the width stays the same. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of the bow split, because it was at that point that I realized that if I couldn't get this back together, I'd be pretty much hosed for the camping season!

Fortunately, I was able to get it back together with a little massaging with a hammer. I wasn't able to salvage enough metal to get all four rivets in, but I figure 3 will hold it well enough.

20180421_145709.jpg

And yes, I noticed that the line on the street side isn't quite right. I decided that I'd assume the factory rivet hole was more accurate then my line and I'm thinking that the canvas will allow for a 1/8th inch margin of error.

A side benefit of this is that the top latches down a lot nicer now that the bow doesn't sit 2 inches above the bed when it's laying down... Who'da thunk it :D

Only got two gashed knuckles and one blood blister (From the freaking pop rivet gun) so all in all not a bad day.

20. tenttrailer

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    My inlaws lived in that area. That part of western PA there are not any mountains, just rolling hills. I think of it like the traverse city area, just a little more rolling hills. The state park has some nice rock formations and it sounds like there may be a few steeper grades in the park. Most of your trip will be through OH with most of that being near pancake flat. Flatter than MI. The eastern side of ohio rolling hills will start maybe 30 miles from the PA line. The state park is about 30 miles east of the ohio line. There is a long grade but not that steep into and out of valley at the ohio river.

my old sienna 3.0 L van pulling a 3K camper would keep up the speed. it would downshift for the most part one gear on the up side of the hills. None of the trip will be mountain driving. A big truck fully loaded might lose 7 mph on some of the hills. You will not see any slow moving truck lanes, or runaway truck lanes like you see in the mountains.

Matt Benoit likes this.