2019 Expedition by Aliner

Discussion in 'PopUpPortal TV' started by PopUpSteve, Nov 29, 2018.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA

Byrd_Huntr and Popiworks like this.
  2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I wonder how long it actually took to raise the roof with out them cutting the video . Seems to be very slow, but a cool feature for those who just can't handle the weight. Took my camp neighbors only 3 min to raise their roof and side walls by hand in the middle of a rain storm on their aliner. Yes, I was a little jealous when I was still trying to set up.

3. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    Nice unit. We had a Aliner Ranger 15 with the same size box and loved it. We may have preferred the twin bed model so we would not have to crawl over in the middle of the night. And for extended stays the dormers would have been nice, but we did not seem to mind the lack of dormers. And I loved the way the top just about raised itself with just the gas struts. With the manual lift (with the lift assist) once you get used to it, it literally took about 30 seconds to setup. Pretty darn easy.

Only concern with the slowness of the motor raising the top would be if you were setting up in a cloud of mosquitos or other biting bugs. Rain never seemed to be an issue with our Aliner while setting up when the sides were still down. Only reason we decided to move up to something bigger was we started talking about traveling for 3+ weeks (or maybe months) at a time, and for that duration we decided we wanted something larger.

Still a big fan of Aliners.

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Wonder what happens if one motor does not work. Wonder what happens if your key chain remote, or someone with the remote, activates the raise process while it is latched. They did move the AC back to the side wall, out from under the bed, so your not trying to sleep on top of an idling 18 wheeler. See they are still using the 1" plastic tabletop trim that is glued to 1/2" plywood.

I was hoping to see him set up the dinette area to a bed. In ours, it does not use the tabletop as part of the setup (that 1" trim thing would not carry weight). So you have this dinette top to do something with when setting up the dinette end bed. For the bed setup, Aliner supplies 4 boards, 6" wide, for a total of 24" support. The hole you have to fill is 38" deep, so there are 14" of unsupported foam. Looks like Aliner needs to provide two more dinette support boards.

5. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    By watching the video I’m pretty sure that’s actual time for lifting and closing. Yes, they cut to a few different camera angels but you can hear the motor run without interruption so pretty sure thats “real time”. Not bad really as it could’nt be more than a couple minutes

6. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    It was fun watching that guy demonstrate the new Aliners with much enthusiasm. It struck me that selecting an Aliner model mirrors the greater discussion here about camper 'upgrades' and what is 'camping'. We picked our 2013 Aliner Classic for it's amenities and for it's light weight, low towing profile, ease of indoor storage and, to a lesser extent, it's simplicity. I am an 'outdoor camper' and go inside just to sleep. I would be just fine in a smaller more basic Aframe, but my wife prefers some additional amenities. While I somewhat envy some of the new features I see here, it seems to me that the more Aliner tries to please every taste, the more they get away from my ideal of small, light, economical, and simple.

7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    PopUpSteve, you are cruel for posting this video. I really want one of these now. The price would be hard to justify, though. For the same price, I could get a really nice TT or even a decent used Class C.

8. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Companies quickly get away from keeping it simple (KISS). It's being Americanized, with more bells and whistles that they can charge more for.

9. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    I'd agree if they were dropping the Scouts, but they're still making all the basic models (even the little Scout Lite), so I don't think they're getting away from anything, they're just expanding their portfolio to attract a broader audience - and/or allow Aliner owners who love the brand to stay with them if their needs change.