$350 Aldi 2,000 Watt Generator

Discussion in 'Deals too good not to share!' started by megcabra, Aug 24, 2018.

1. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Saw this in the “next week” Aldi flyer starting August 29th. Not sure how good it is but $350 for a 2,000 Watt quiet generator seems like a pretty good deal.

D8295E93-0A5D-43C9-A201-B9A5211F4E2D.jpeg

2. Spridle

Spridle Member

Jun 6, 2011
    I tried one of these recently and ended up returning it. It was OK, but louder than expected and the idle was awful. Every 20 seconds or so it would cough big time. never stalled, but not pretty. Returned it and a weak later ran across a mint used Honda for $650. What a difference.

Arlyn Aronson and megcabra like this.
  3. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    Lets say something that might be shocking. If something reasonably good costs, maybe around $1000. Your not at $350. The last time we camped at a regular CG, someone there was running a less costly generator. Everyone there asked "when are they shutting that d&^&$ thing off". Hope that helps.

megcabra likes this.
  4. Spridle

Spridle Member

Jun 6, 2011
    To be clear, I did not buy this exact unit, although I suspect it may have been the same, just a different name. It was a cheap inverter gen for a great price. I'm sure some examples work fine, but the one I got was clearly not right. As much as I wanted to like the price, I knew I'd hate it every time I ran it so I returned and luckily hit the lottery on that Honda.

megcabra likes this.
  5. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    Looks identical to this Pulsar branded one on Amazon.

Pulsar Products PG2000iSN Portable Gas-Powered Inverter Generator in Space Gray, 2000w, Grey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DDK6468/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_E3iGBbCAJZB91

The Pulsar gets decent reviews. My only worry is getting help if something does go wrong. With the Predators from Harbor Freight, there is at least a large network of stores experienced with returns. Plus you can buy the extended warranty if you want.

The consensus online seems to be that breaking-in these cheap generic inverter generators (HF included) is vital. I’ve read about using different spark plugs, special oil, etc. Then changing the oil several times during the break-in process.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    megcabra likes this.
  6. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Surely you get what you pay for and the Honda is by far the top of the line. The only other model I saw recently was this one in a Costco brochure and it may look nicer but could be the same thing just dressed up.

D46FA816-FA11-4FF0-8514-7D1288D5BECC.jpeg

7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I've been using THIS 2000 watt generator for the past two years. I used it sparingly last season and extensively this season.

I've boon docked three times this season, mostly using the generator to charge two group 27 batteries to run the DW and my CPAPs at night. It takes about three hours to charge them. We run the genny in the late morning - early afternoon and at the same time we are charging the batteries we are charging the cell phones and running the fans. We have no AC.

The camper is plugged directly into the genny and we use the outlets to run the chargers. This also allows the charging of the pup battery. We do have to unplug EVERYTHING when the DW wants to run her blow dryer. (Here is where the debate on blow driers when camping starts. I'm on the side of leaving them home but I'm obviously not on the winning side.)

The genny is fairly quiet but to reduce the noise I surround three sides with THESE floor mats when the DW not using the mats for her exercising. Using the mats reduces the noise greatly.

Genny.jpg

Rik Peery and megcabra like this.
  8. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Our favorite CG finally banned generators due to the fact many sounded like a .50 cal going off in a hot LZ, final straw was when the new Park Ranger had one guy cut his off at 10 pm, then he cut it back on bout an hour later...sucks, a nice quiet generator would be nice to have in the primitive sites...dude next to us back in June had a super quiet one, saw it but never heard it; he wasn't aware of the rule & was a nice guy w/ his family, told him to hide it under his camper, no probs from us...

megcabra likes this.
  9. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    We have two batteries, a solar panel, electric free heater, and a 800 W 30+ year old honda generator. I had generator long before getting any of the other things to extend the battery life. We have only used the generator camping a few time in the many years of owning it.. I just hate using my generator, weight, noise, smell

10. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Blow dryer?
    Not even my wife does that.

BikeNFish likes this.