3rd annual raccoon DOG

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by vagov, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    Unfortunately I most likely have to cancel out of this which I am truly going to miss. I had to have emergency surgery (all is ok) late in Feb and have used most of my vacation and other off time, along with another follow up surgery sometime in late May or June which will lay me up for another 2 or 3 weeks. This has essentially scrapped all our entire 2017 camping plans unless I can sneak in a couple of weekends late summer / fall. I have 60 nights reserved so far but have already started canceling. It basically sucks. Hope you all have a really great time.

OG

2. vagov

vagov Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    OG that sucks, gonna miss you at the DOG. but that does leave more great lakes ale for me and shelimely now hehe . heal up and hope to see you soon

3. shelmily

shelmily Active Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Sorry to hear that John. We will miss you. Hope everything goes well.

4. vagov

vagov Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Only. 1 month away [CK][pld]

5. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    Thanks.......I have been putting a lot of thought into how to salvage a season. If I'm lucky and all go's well with this follow up surgery in May, I might be back in action around July. Their may be a lot of commuting back and forth to work from the campground come end of summer /fall. I may end up with a few vacation days after this as in maybe 3, and am not beyond attempting to take some unpaid time off for camping purposes.

Who knows I may show up at Raccoon Creek just for the day, and I haven't canceled the ressies yet. I do think I'm fooling myself when I start thinking I can get the trailer prepped before then though.

6. vagov

vagov Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Please do come out John. Even. If it,s just for the day.

7. vagov

vagov Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Finalizing plans this week, Over 50 Plus registered. For the DOG so far, still room for more. Extended forcast Looks promising for decent weather, hopefully this will continue to stay true, sites are. Still available at campground, though, It does usually get more crowded to to PA trout season, book now if you want to join us, the dutch oven guys will be on site, for those who are in need of any cast iron needs, please pre purchase from the www.dutchovenguys.com. within the next few days to guarantee delivery at the event. We will also be selling raccoon DOG aprons for $15. And raffle tickets for cash and door prizes. Excited about breaking the cabin fever, and firing up the coals !

8. vagov

vagov Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Just over a week away , just a reminder, the bridge just past the boat rental on raccoon creek park road and route 30 is still closed for construction. All traffic to both the campground and gathering site at the Westside picnic area must enter trough the route 18 entrance of the State Park, from the east and Pittsburgh, take Interstate 376 west towards Airport. Take route 30 west at the Clinton exit. Pass the first entrance on your left (raccoon creek park road) stay on 30 west until you see route 18 at the 4 way stop. Make LEFT into park. From points west you can take either route 22 east trough Steubenville Ohio to route 18 Burgettstown, or ohio 7 south to East Liverpool . O. then route 30 east towards Clinton PA, you will pass trough WV panhandle then into PA. Stay 30 east to route 18. 4 way. Make right into park

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  9. shelmily

shelmily Active Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the info John!

10. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    Oh Brother.......I had two sites reserved, one in case the dog came with me and one not. I canceled them last weekend. I've been back to work for 2 weeks and started feeling sort of good.
    The other day I sat and looked at the Roo with the cover on and thought "I think I can get that thing off". Then I thought "I think I can get the batteries out of the basement". Then it was "dewinterizing is no big deal, just take my time."

I think I may be back in the game, for two nights no need to set up the whole shebang.....................stay tuned.

11. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    I am back in.......site E5.........ripped the cover off the Roo yesterday.

12. vagov

vagov Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Sounds good. See you there. Glad your back

13. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    I spent Easter draining antifreeze and testing the water system
    Thx.....although dewinterizing yesterday made me realize what that damn surgery took out of me. I need a campfire.

John, are you familiar with site E05? They listed it as 20' max trailer but the site looked plenty long in the picture and on Earth. Tell me Racoon SP is not one of the ones that has a ranger parking Nazi that go's ape if you get a tire on the grass.

14. shelmily

shelmily Active Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    That's great John! Glad to hear everything is working out for you. I'm really looking forward to this weekend. I hope the weather cooperates.

15. vagov

vagov Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Not sure exactly on site as I usually stay in the f section as I am forced to. Bring the pooch along. For the ride, sites at raccoon are kinda hit or miss. More of a level issue mostly than deep., if memory serves me well I think site E05 is. Near the bathroom and more open, I think you should be fine. Don't worry about the ranger patrol, we can bribe them with food if needed. Hehe!

16. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    Thanks guys.......
    Posting at 2:30 am? Insomnia? LOL

What time do you guys plan on arriving At R.C. ? I am going to take the Roo to work and attempt to blow off early to get there early afternoon maybe 1:30 or a little later.

17. shelmily

shelmily Active Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I am coming in Thursday evening. I hope to be there and set up by supper time.

18. vagov

vagov Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    I'm planning on getting there around 10 am. Friday. Morning if not earlier , just hope they don't enforce the 3pm check in time. Too much.

19. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Active Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Southwest PA
    I should of figured that with your distance to travel. If I would of known I might have pulled the Roo over Thursday and went to work from there on Friday.

Do they even enforce that? Do they even man the contact station this time of year?
    Is it like Laurel Hill where you need not stop anywhere and motor right to the site?

Out at Promised Land last fall was a first for me at PA parks, where I had to register at a building a mile from the campground even though we had ressies.

20. vagov

vagov Active Member

Aug 13, 2012
    do to fishing season, they might manage the gate somewhat, can't recall last year if registration was open but do recall drive thru on occasion. not that im too comcerned, As long as the site open. Not like too many people camping. Thursday night ( besides mike) at least his snoring won't keep many awake all night