4 bolt to 5 bolt?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by PNW PopUp, Apr 26, 2018.

1. PNW PopUp

PNW PopUp New Member

Mar 21, 2018
    I'm starting to investigate what will be required to lift my trailer. 2012 Jayco Jay sport 10. Currently has a 4 bolt hub on it. Any tire/wheels I am looking at or would want to go on Forest service roads all seem to have 5 bolt hubs. Are you able to swap out hubs or would I need to be looking at doing a full axle swap as well? I'm not against this as I could go to a beefier axle at the same time but if I don't need to that its a savings in cost. Thoughts or direction appreciated.

2. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg 13" is the largest four hole wheel / tire combo. Just upgraded to that size from 12" That tire is plenty large enough for forest service roads. That's all we drive to camp and we are very happy with the new tires. Just got back from southern Utah and drove some rough roads w/ no issues

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Hubs can be swapped with no problem, but does your wheel well have the room for a taller setup?

Rusty2192 likes this.
  4. PNW PopUp

PNW PopUp New Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Yeah these roads are on par with what I'd be doing. Good to know, thanks!

5. PNW PopUp

PNW PopUp New Member

Mar 21, 2018
    I physically pick the trailer up this weekend so this is something I'll be sorting out. Looks like I could be ok with a 4 bolt 13" like gladecreekwy showed above.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  6. Sharkdude

Sharkdude New Member

Mar 14, 2018
    local shop just put a 4 inch lift on my 1995 rockwood. they swapped to 5 bolt hubs and used same torsion axle. I now have 5 lug 14 inch tires with plenty of wheel well clearance