4 Mile Creek State Park NY

Discussion in 'New York' started by GalsofEscape, Jul 8, 2016.

1. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    We just returned from a 6 day trip to Niagara Falls from Maryland. We arrived on Saturday and left on Thursday, took us about 8 hours to drive up from Baltimore. Had an excellent time. We camped at 4 Mile Creek NY State Park. The new Shamrock 23WS towed well all the way up Rt 15 along the Susquehanna River into Corning and then up I390 to Rt 63 and then a bunch of back country two lane roads from there all the way into the campground. The "little" hills we encountered really had the Durango sucking the gas though.

4 Mile Creek State Park is an easy 14 miles north of Niagara Falls and is on the shores of Lake Ontario. And the price was much better than the private campgrounds closer to the falls. IIRC we paid about 31/night. The only hookup the campground has are electric, there are no water or sewer hookups, but there is water available to fill your fresh water tank. All sites are backins and fairly wide. There is a camp store. There are some sites that are considered water front and you pay a couple of bucks more per night to get one of those but they offer a view of the lake and the sunset over the lake are awesome.

We were in the first loop which was fairly flat and grassy. The other loops felt more secluded. Check-in was quick as we had done the pre-check in on-line a couple of days prior to our arrival. Quirky thing - you have to sign a statement that you will back in to your site. I asked if this was a problem and the gal at the counter said yes it was.. Just the other day they had someone try to cut through the sites to pull through into their site and took his air conditioner off with a tree limb. There are no camping pads, your site is completely grass. makes it nice on your feet.
    The bath house was decent and clean, and looks recently updated, the shower tiles looked fresh and there was no mold in the grout. The water temperature was an issue when in the shower and somebody flushes the toilet. The showers were small but adequate.
    There is no swimming at the campground, but there is a pool at Fort Niagara State Park only 3 miles to the west and a beach at Wilson Tuscarora State park to the east.
    Our camping pass lets us into the other state parks for free (but NOT Niagara State Park - that is 10 dollars per day to park there). Did not check on the fee for the pool. There is now a shuttle that runs from Fort Niagara to Niagara Falls. It does not go into the park, but does have a stop at the Discovery Center and at the Official Visitors Center downtown that is only a block from the park. This is the first year for this shuttle, and this year it is free. We would park at Fort Niagara and take the shuttle. It runs from 9 am to 7 pm.

We did get the Discovery Pass the included the Discovery Center with movie, the Aquarium, the Cave of the Winds and the Maid of the Mist and the movie at the visitor center. It also includes one free day for the trolley the tootles around the state park. We also toured Fort Niagara and the Power plant. Both were very good, the power plant has alot of interactive stuff and is free. Well worth the two hours it takes. Of course the falls were great. The Aquarium was so-so, it is small and there were several exhibits that were empty (not sure if they were under construction or just empty) and does appear to be struggling a bit. Does not take alot of time to go through the Aquarium.

Trip home was uneventful, took a bit longer due to rush hour in Harrisburg and Baltimore. Overall, a great trip.

Nice campground, would go back.

pasobuff and lovelymae like this.
  2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Sounds like you had a great time.. 4MCSP is our go to cross border campground for those 3 night camping/shopping trips .. [:D].

3. GalsofEscape

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    we did have a great time Snow - we saw alot of Ontario plates while we were there, so it must be a goto campground for more people than just you :)
    We also saw more teardrop type campers than I have ever seen at a campground. Normally if we even see a teardrop, it is the only one in the campground - here we saw 4.

4. daveo1289

daveo1289 Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Rochester NY
    I'm glad to see you had a nice time at 4 Mile. We go there twice a year and really like it. For the most part, we do camp in the easterly area of the park and sometimes along the lake. The next time, we will be in the area you were in but along the lake just to the east of the bath rooms. I have to agree with you about the aquarium. It has seen better days and does not seem to be getting any better. One thing that struck me though, was you having to pay to get into Fort Niagara State Park. I have been there a number of times while camping both at 4 Mile and Golden Hill State Park and never had to pay. Just showed the camping tag like you did at the other parks. If this ever happens to you again while your camping in a state park and want to enter another state park, question it. I have camped in many NYS parks and never had to pay when I went to another. Thanks for coming to Western NY and I hoped your trip was as good as your others.

5. GalsofEscape

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    no - as campers we did not have to pay to get into Fort Niagara, we just showed our camping pass and was let right in - we did have to pay to park at Niagara Falls State Park though.
    I was also told that campers used to be able to park free at Niagara Falls State Park, but no longer. they now have 24 hours ticket machines to collect the $$.

6. dlaudens

dlaudens Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    +1 for 4MCSP and everything GalsofEscape mentioned about the park. We were impressed by the bathrooms/showers too.

Can't remember the site number off the top of my head, but I attached the sunset picture from the back of our waterfront lot. FYI - the water was about a 20-30 foot drop from the campground!

Attached Files:

7. gonyr

gonyr Member

May 5, 2016
    Western NY
    We just got back from our first-ever popup trip there a few days ago. Chose the location mostly because it was close to home in case of any problems or if wife got called into a work emergency.

Great time, and I definitely recommend the 200 loop over the 100. The sites seem a little further apart and the extra trees give a nicer atmosphere. Bathroom and showers were fine. Just don't use the last shower on the left in the men's room. It only had hot water once out of my three tries, even when all the others worked fine. Another camper told me that particular shower always has problems. I didn't look at the 300 loop, but I'm fairly sure it's all non-electric sites.

The aquarium is supposedly in the midst of a redesign and renovation. Not sure where they stand in terms of fundraising, but I think it's still a work in progress. And definitely quite a drop from campsites to the lake, although that didn't stop my 14 yr old from climbing up and down several times a day. If you walk west from the campsites towards Four Mile Creek itself, the drop-off gradually gets smaller until you're at the water.

It's on our list for a future return trip.

8. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2010
    We had already set the 4 miles creek state park into our camping list. When the time is right, we will try to reserve a campsite here. Thank you for sharing!

9. daveo1289

daveo1289 Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Rochester NY
    Sorry, my mistake. I haven't been to the falls in a couple of years and I thought you meant Ft Niagara. I guess the state has to pay for the up grades some how. I didn't realize they put ticket machines.

10. lovelymae

lovelymae Member

Jul 19, 2016
    Hanford, California
    GalsofEscape I know this was from last year but we are planning on doing this exact trip from Maryland as well. We are coming from Southern Maryland about 2-3 hours south of Baltimore. Did you do this drive in one day? We are debating on if we should break up the drive or not. It's about 500 miles from our house it looks like.

11. GalsofEscape

Nov 26, 2013
    Maryland
    Hi lovelymae - we did do the drive up in one day and it was a long haul from Baltimore at 8 hours but the last couple of hours on those country two lane roads seemed VERY LONG - LOL. I was glad I refueled before we left the interstate.
    If you are 2 hours further away, I would recommend to break it up into two days and depending on when/if you have to go around Baltimore - rush hour can make it worse. It is a pretty drive once you leave Harrisburg following the Susquehanna River, with some towns to slow you down due to speed limits. If you have the time, a couple of days at Watkins Glen would be a nice (either Watkins Glen state park or the Watkins Glen KOA).

12. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Just some insight, if your going to be towing for 10 hours or more, I would suggest splitting the drive into 2 days as well.. The furthest I'll tow in one shot is right at the 8 hour mark, any longer then that and numb bum as well as lead feet start taking over.. It might be hard to get into Watkins Glen SP, but if you can it is a gem of a place.. Hoping to return to NY SP's one of these years..

13. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    i am hosting a rally at 4 mile creek sp July 12-14 2019 weekend, we are now booking sites in the 200 section, fiqured i throw a updated thread here for those wanting to visit on there bucket list, or return for a reunion. thanks for the the reviews. as this will be my first time here as well. [:D]