4-Way Vehicle to 7-Way Trailer Wiring question

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by daellep, Jun 17, 2019.

1. daellep

daellep New Member

Hi all!

Pop-up and towing newbie here. I'm in Ontario, Canada and just bought a 2003 Bonair trailer that I'm trying to get on the road.

Problem is my towing vehicle (2013 Nissan Rogue) has a 4-way flat harness connected and the trailer has a 7-way AND what looks like a 4-way connection but actually has some sort of adapter that has 8 pins?? The configuration is 2 x 4 - it looks like the 4-way but with 4 more connectors beside them).

I used a tester on my TV and my 4-way flat works. The seller hooked up the 7-way on the trailer to his truck when we did a set-up and takedown last week and the lights worked fine.

But when I try to plug my 4-way vehicle end into the wonky 8-way adapter it doesn't work. I bought a 4-way to 7-way adapter but just haven't installed it yet because I have to ground it and need to buy some screws that are the right size, and now I'm thinking anyways that maybe it is meant to adapt the 7-way on the vehicle end to a 4-way on the trailer end, not the other way around?

I've read through some other posts about the 4-way to 7-way and I'm wondering if I'm missing something about this weird 8-way adapter, or if I should get my tv re-wired for the 7-way. I've taken the advice about getting wired for trailer brakes if you have them, and will definitely look into it in the future, I was just hoping to save myself the expense of getting it re-wired if I can for now.

Has anyone come across this 8-way wire? Site won't let me upload a pic but configuration is this:
    @ @ @ @
    x o o o <- 4-way flat from my vehicle plugs to this side, it just doesn't do anything

x = the metal wire plug of the 4-way flat
    o = the rubbery light wire posts of the 4-way flat
    @ = 4 extra rubbery posts??

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

upload_2019-6-17_21-24-19.jpeg

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor. Get it wired correctly so you can use the brakes

Rik Peery likes this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

What joet said .......... do it right and be done with it.
    Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.53.58 AM.png

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

They do make adaptors that converts the 7 way into 4 way and it’s just a plug and play type thing. The problem, you will not have trailer breaks if you did this. If your camper came equipped with breaks you may have rules that say you have to have working breaks. A thing to note, having breaks can be a lifesaver if in an accident. Without breaks your camper will be pushing your car forward decreasing your stopping power considerably. With breaks you will have more control over the camper and it’s breaks can assist and not push you as forward. So yes, it’s doable, but safety wise not advisable.

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with the 8-way connector application...

My last two Ford F150 OFF-ROAD Trucks came with this dual trailer connector which has both 4-way pin and 7-way Blade connections In addition to the lid being a locking type to keep the trailer plug from being pulled out...

This works great for my OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer and my smaller utility trailer I have here...

[​IMG]
    Google Image

[​IMG]
    Google image

This is one area I would not be using funky adapters as trailer brakes is a DOT SAFETY Feature and loss of life and property is at stake here...

I would work on getting the proper hardware installed to support your trailer Electric Brakes setup...

Also it is possible that your tow vehicle only having the 4-way Safety Lights connections may not be rated high enough to pull a larger trailer that requires the 7-way Lights and Electric Brake connections...

I know my JEEP Vehicle only has the 4-way pin connection installed on it which works great with the small utility trailer it tows a lot that does not have electric brakes installed on it… No way would this JEEP safely tow my larger OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer that has a GVWR of 4200lbs...

ETRAILER.com is great source for information for RV Trailers... Great folks to work with...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

8. Mark Stratmann

Mark Stratmann New Member

As was said, your 4-prong adapter won't have electric brakes or a constant 12v. The 12v is what likely allowed them to have the lights working.

9. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Daellep. Just out of curiosity how much does your camper weigh. The Rouge is not capable of towing much.

10. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

11. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

The 4 to 7-way adapter I used has a separate ground wire rather than relying on the one on the 4 pin it plugs into. I think the ground on the adapter is a heavier gauge wire than the one on the 4-way, which makes sense since it needs to be able to handle the return current from brakes, charge line, etc, instead of just lights.

Notice the heavy white ground wire.
    EAFD3D2A-B127-4C58-9A24-9A7947493BCD.jpeg

So the OP probably has the right adapter to pernently add everything to their TV.

12. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

A couple pictures could help with the feedback you are getting.

but as others have said, if the camper has brakes, it would be crazy not to add the correct wiring to the TV to use them. If I'm reading this correctly, then the camper does have brakes.