7916-II issue still

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by MrRenner, Apr 18, 2019.

1. MrRenner

MrRenner New Member

Alrighty, so it's that time of year again so we decided to drag the tent trailer to our local campground for the weekend. We were having issues last September that, according to the diagnostic LED, was a limit switch/air flow problem. Changed the switch, thoroughly cleaned out everything I could get to and still no heat.
    The blower comes on strong, I can hear and feel the gas valve kick on but can't hear the igniter at all. I'm leaning towards this as the problem, just wanted to get some opinions from people that have been doing this a bit longer than I have. Are these a known issue especially with such low "miles" on the trailer?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

does the LP tank have LP in it ?
    Try shutting the LP off, then very slowly turn it on, if turned too fast the safety senses a leak and shuts the full LP down, it will let a very little bit in. Also turn on and light the burners few a few minutes to get most of the air out of the lines.

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

If you can hear/feel the valve opening the valve, then you should have spark. If not... the control board

4. MrRenner

MrRenner New Member

Somehow the furnace started to work on it's own while I was at work on Thursday. Had left it on after fiddling with it Wednesday night, come home from work and it's running and warm as hell in the trailer.
    Fast forward to Thursday and it seems to be working fine when we crawl into bed that night but sometime in the middle of the night it stops for a couple of hours, but will fire back up if you turn the thermostat all the way down and then back up until it clicks. By Friday I can't get it to fire up at all so grabbed the space heater for the next two nights. Time to start looking for a control board I guess.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I would check the thermostat first, jumper the two wires together and see if it works, if that cures the problem a thermostat is less than 20.00 at wally world.
    Good Luck and I hope you get the problem solved quickly

neighbormike likes this.
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Also double check your propane tank now that it worked that one time. The furnace sucks up propane fast especially if your camper was as hot as you say it was. You may have started off with a full tank but the furnace could have sucked it dry now. Can't tell you how many times I woke up to a cold camper because I ran out of propane.

7. MrRenner

MrRenner New Member

Oh good call, never thought of that! Thanks for the tip!

8. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Those thermostats are notorious for failing... definitely check that first.

9. MrRenner

MrRenner New Member

Alright, I'm finally getting around to checking everything after yet another colder weekend of camping. Crossed the two wires going to the thermostat, the blower came on and I could hear the gas valve click. After running for over a minute with no igniter clicking I said to hell with it and plugged in the space heater.
    Now, I'm going to replace the thermostat with a cheap heat only one from the local hardware store just in case but I'm wondering if my problem could also be the sail switch? If so, how much of a pain are they to get to?

10. MrRenner

MrRenner New Member

Well, just read that the sail switch also opens the gas valve which seems to be working fine, so I guess I'll try the new thermostat and a new igniter. The trailer was given to us as a gift so I really don't mind throwing some money at the problem but I should be testing parts first I guess.

11. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If you bypassed the thermostat and it worked , then replace the thermostat, if it didnt work , i wouldn't replace it just yet. I would also try bypassing the limit switch, and see if that works. I hate those things, i have them on my heating system at home and they always trip and break.

neighbormike likes this.