82 Coleman Redwood

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by jimw451, May 19, 2017 at 5:56 PM.

1. jimw451

jimw451 New Member

Friday
    Couldn't beat the price. It was free. Been sitting for years, so first replacement parts were new wheels and tires. Then I got the title done and tag and towed it home. No working brake lights but a buddy followed me home so it wasn't that obvious. Like 20 minute drive down back roads.
    Roof never leaked, but the guy wanted to make sure it never would, so there was duct tape the entire length of the middle strip.
    Wood at corners weren't rotted away, so it sat outside for a while to dry as much as possible.
    Inside is solid, but table seemed a bit bulky and cushions were just dated. 2 new cushion boards cut to size along with fabric and new foam and they are at a local upholstery shop now.
    Filled in the bigger dents and prepped the roof, Two coats of flex seal and new strip seal along with silicone caulk.
    Mother nature did not want me to do the roof quickly haha. Had a canopy ready though.
    Just finished the corner caps with spray paint and caulked them in.
    New hoses purchased for the plumbing and electric water pump as well. New leveling stands arrived today.
    Progress pics so far:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. theyellowbeard

theyellowbeard Member

Sep 18, 2016
    Cary Illinois
    Love the price. Looks good can't wait to see it finished. I like the old Coleman's.

jimw451 likes this.
  3. jimw451

jimw451 New Member

Friday
    Put carpet tiles on the plywood of the pull outs. Plan is to just have inflatable mattresses on each end. The cost of new foam and upholstery for each end was pretty expensive. Plus the boxes of carpet tiles were on clearance for 10 bucks a box.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. KaptainKrrrk

KaptainKrrrk New Member

May 12, 2015
    That's a good idea, we went for the new foam padding for my 1980 Rockwood and it was more expensive than I thought it would be. The idea is to keep this stuff on the functional/cheap! We are using the inflatable mattresses too. How are the supports for the bed ends?

jimw451 likes this.
  5. jimw451

jimw451 New Member

Friday
    Thanks! Supports are in excellent condition. Although me being a bit paranoid about bending tracks, I sprung for a couple jack/screw supports (one for each side) when I found them at a reasonable price. Now no worries at all!

6. firecoast

firecoast New Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Muskegon, Michigan
    Thanks for sharing your progress. Looks great! I bought a '93 Coleman Destiny Royale last year that I'm rebuilding the roof on now. Same style as yours, but Mother Nature wasn't as kind. I like the carpet tile idea for the bunks, too! Keep up the great work!

jimw451 likes this.