'89 Jayco 806 Deluxe

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Mr Schroth, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Mr Schroth

Mr Schroth New Member

Mar 11, 2018
    Good evening everyone! I recently purchased an 89 Jayco 806 Deluxe pop-up and one of the lift cables is snapped. It's the passenger side front one right by the winch. What's the best way to go about fixing it? I already have a replacement cable.

Also, when I try cranking it up, the 3 lift cables that do work feel very very tight and it's not easy cranking it up. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Hello and welcome from Minnesota.

I have never fixed a cable but there are a few things you should be aware of. First, make sure you are supporting the corner that has the broken cable as you crank it up to alleviate pressure on the remaining cables or you will snap those too or pull a pulley off the support. You will also have to use a 2x4 or something else to keep the roof propped up while you make the repair.

You probably have the Goshen lift system and the diagram for the Goshen can be found HERE. There are two different styles so you will need to determine which one you have. You can tell which system you have by what the lift bars look like (square or rectangel).

EDIT: I don't know how much it will help, but HERE is a video on another 1989 Jayco repair.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    J Starsky likes this.
  3. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    Some books have been scanned by JAYCO as well. Send them an email and see what they have for you - Yes is the same $$ as No

Mr Schroth likes this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    6ad4135f4a202c41426d6f8c1f8a6abc--welcome-to-group.jpg Remove the cabinet just inside the door and the little step that goes the front at the floor. Everything you need will be right there. You may need a #1 square bit for the screws.

Mr Schroth likes this.
  5. Mr Schroth

Mr Schroth New Member

Mar 11, 2018
    Yes, I did that and I see everything. Are the smaller lift cables supposed to be really tight?

6. Mr Schroth

Mr Schroth New Member

Mar 11, 2018
    Good call! Thanks

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    They have to be free to swivel and not twist. I thing that is their biggest problem.

8. Mr Schroth

Mr Schroth New Member

Mar 11, 2018
    Yeah, they were twisted... I'm going to have to check the pulleys in the back too aren't I? Ugh

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Usually it is just there. The square plate should have a very small bearing to prevent the plate turning. Jayco should have had some kind of guide to keep the plate from turning in my opinion. You make have to remove the plate and deburr the holes.

10. Mr Schroth

Mr Schroth New Member

Mar 11, 2018
    Ohhh, I think that bearing is not there. Ok, thanks!

11. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    here are a couple docs, the first has step by step and pics at end.
    http://popupportal.com/resources/lw-lift-system-replacement.12/
    http://popupportal.com/resources/jayco-1998-lift-system.14/ pics to show how it works, same lift system.

In short ya support the roof with something, part way up or all the way up. replace cable, adjust.
    I was thinking you could get to the end slug without pulling the lift arm out. possibly pushing the spring up into the lift arm.
    The corner pulleys may need looking at or lubed.

FYI, when ya crank the roof down do not keep cranking as the cables get loose and enough slack to catch of stuff like the tracks in the floor, they will break when ya crank the roof up if they get caught on stuff!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  12. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Nov 9, 2014
    San Antonio
    There is a thrust bearing at that plate. Need to clean and lube entire lift system and look for binding. Was the one corner latch open or closed. I missed unlatching one once and snapped a cable. Was an easy fix.