99-03 GM truck and SUV front brake upgrade

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Tylers88, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Tylers88

Tylers88 New Member

May 18, 2018
    Iowa
    Some people may not be aware and since there’s a TON of these trucks on the road I figured I’d share. It’s not really needed for towing a PUP but if you ever step up to a TT, oversized tires or just want to have better brake performance it’s as easy as turning a little time turning wrenches with no fabrication involved.

The 99-03 had 12” front brakes with discs out back, for 05, 06 and 07 classic(old body style 07) they went to 13” fronts with drums out back. For an easy upgrade you can literally bolt the newer stuff right on. You can go with parts store stock style replacements or go crazy. I ended up doing the Powerstop Z36 towing combo, pads are a carbon fiber material with backing shims rivited on for noise and rotors are drilled and slotted. The calipers are basically just a stock rebuilds with a nice red powder coated finish. I did mine in preparation for larger/heavier wheel and tire combo, I also took the opportunity to upgrade the old worn out rubber lines for stainless flex lines.
    I ordered everything through Summit Racing, like I said even parts store stock replacements will be an upgrade but I wanted to take it a step further.
    Part numbers for what I used are PWR-K2067-36 for the pad and rotor combo and PWR-S4918 for the calipers and brackets.

Worn out stock stuff
    86BA5143-1931-4183-B685-4F95D10AC847.jpeg

This is the other side but I had it ripped apart already when I thought to take the picture. You can also see my new shocks. I went with Bilstien 5100 series, on lighter vehicles they have some small impact harshness that gets real old real fast, I had them on a Jeep TJ and wasn’t super impressed but over an extra 30” of wheel base and right around literally a ton of weight with my Suburban and they ride great. On a full-size truck/SUV I’d recommend them.
    B6AD36CD-A26F-4A34-ADCA-B168422CF0FC.jpeg

Size comparison between a stock rotor and the new ones.
    E11F883E-E25D-41D0-BE9D-6F462C5EFCB2.jpeg

Anyone has any questions feel free to ask away.

J Starsky likes this.
  2. Tylers88

Tylers88 New Member

May 18, 2018
    Iowa
    I also forgot to mention you must have at least 17” wheels because 16” will not clear the brakes. If you have 16s you could time the brake upgrade with getting new tires.

3. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I am on the fence about the drilled and slotted rotors.

Raycfe likes this.
  4. Tylers88

Tylers88 New Member

May 18, 2018
    Iowa
    For daily driving so am I, these have a beveled edge on the holes so they in theory shouldn’t develop stress cracks like drilled rotors without them, the real upgrade isn’t the drilled and slotted rotors it’s that they are an inch bigger and quality pads will stop shorter than if you go with the cheapest possible.