A 3 way Dometic RM 4223 dead short problem

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Winkie, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Winkie

Winkie New Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Kentucky
    With the popup level,my Frig will NOT work on AC current. It pops the GFI in my camper. I unplug the frig and the camper recepticles work just fine. I plug the frig directly into an extension cord and frig does NOT work. Any suggestions on where to look. I have a Electronic Engineering Degree and worked for over 20+years. I am now retired.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  2. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    Try some basic trouble shooting. My guess is the heating element is shorted. Get your VOM out and do some checking.
    If you don't know where to start there is a lot of help online.

3. Winkie

Winkie New Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Kentucky

4. Winkie

Winkie New Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Kentucky
    I can't find any schematics on this particular system or any troubleshooting guides. I haven't found any generic troubleshooting tips for the 2.5cubic foot Dometic 3 way frig

5. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    That would be my best guess start also.
    You don't say what model you have so don't know for sure on your fridge.
    But the majority of them are just a resistance wound heater and they will either open circuit or short to earth.
    Even just pulling the plug and putting a meter over the pins should tell you what you need to know.
    Just be careful as some models have an electronic controller!
    Locate the model number and we may be able to put you in the right direction to find a manual.
    Ive been 45 years in the work force and still can't see an end in sight, you are doing well.

6. Winkie

Winkie New Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Kentucky
    the model was in the header, I clicked and pasted it
    A 3 way Dometic RM 4223 dead short problem
    my controler is a potentiometer I have already downloaded the manual and parts list for my particular model

7. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Ah Sorry did not see that.
    Hmm, I have not been able to find a service manual for this either.
    But if you feel able, trace the wiring to the heater element, disconnect and test there.
    Pretty certain it will be burnt and shorted to ground.
    I did find this pretty old dometic diagnostic trouble shooting guide, but looking through it I am not sure it will help you.

8. Winkie

Winkie New Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the flow charts. They might come in handy when I check it out this spring when the weather breaks.