A bittersweet goodbye

Discussion in 'Best Wishes/Remembrances for Loved Ones & Friends' started by Sneezer, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    We adopted two kittens in November. Bombur (named after one of the dwarves in The Hobbit for his voracious appetite) and Walter Mittens. Bombur was unfortunately diagnosed with FIP this morning. We recently got back from vacation to Oregon and noticed he was sleeping more and wasn't as playful as he used to be. Once we noticed some belly bloat we got really concerned.

He is such an intelligent cat. A simple all black domestic short hair from the shelter, he learned to fetch and had a few favorite toys which he would often carry around the house. We frequently woke up to toys in the bed, and many mornings he would insist on playing fetch before we got up. He understood his name, and was always following us around, and loved to try new food. We had pulled pork sandwiches on Sunday and I thought he was going to rip an arm off trying to get to the packaging!

Just within the last month he was learning to go for walks on a leash and harness, and our son was planning to work with him to complete his pet care merit badge - he has to teach a pet 3 tricks and since we are not dog people this was looking like a lost cause until Bombur came along.

He appears to be failing fast and I fear tomorrow is the day he will journey alone into the darkness, but we will be there with him to the end. Many tissues were moistened today as we all tried to say our goodbyes and spend what time we could with him.

He was first and foremost my wife's kitty, he loved her the most and spent every night by her side. We can only hope to fill that emptiness with the many loving memories we have of Bombur after he has left us. He is sleeping in her arms tonight for likely the last time, and I expect our son will spend the morning cuddling him as best he can.

Although we only had him for 8 months he quickly adopted us as his family and we gave him the best life we knew how. Our two older cats know something is wrong, and they have both been extra loving today as we prepare for the end.

The worst is knowing that there was absolutely nothing we could have done and that he was essentially doomed from birth, and there is nothing we can do now. Still I consider ourselves fortunate to have had him in our lives, and to have given him the fun and love he received while he was with us.

We don't believe in an afterlife in the traditional religious sense, but he will always live in our hearts and minds in that special place with all our memories of past friends, families and pets.

I worry most for my son and wife, her since he loved her so much, and my son as this is the first pet we have had to put down that he is old enough to understand and be a part of the process.

He was a most excellent cat, and the smartest animal I have ever known. We will all miss him dearly.

IMG_20180322_140508376_01.jpg IMG_20180202_100857046.jpg IMG_20180607_170513685.jpg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  2. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    I am so sorry to hear about Bombur. From the picture with him on the leash ( which made me chuckle ) it looks like he thought he was a dog. Just remember you gave Bombur 8 months of love and caring that he otherwise might not have had.

3. myride

myride Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Never easy letting a pet go......"only a minute in our lives but forever in our hearts...."

4. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Active Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    A bittersweet moment to let these fur babies into our hearts and later saying goodbye. With 5 dogs, a kitten, peacock, 12 hens and a rooster we've been there many times. Just yesterday one of female dogs killed one of the hens. Sounds like you made good memories that will get you through your grief. Always hard losing a pet that you've bonded with.

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Condolences......

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    We all have lost pets dear to us and I believe along with many others our dearest pets will waiting for us at a place some folks call RAINBOW BRIDGE. This is also a Indian legend as well...

The Folklore is they will be waiting for us at the Rainbow Bridge and then all of us will cross into heaven together...

I visit with our lost pets everyday where we have them buried here at the house... I have those solar lights from WALMART lined up grouped together with one for each pet we have lost... The lights burn for our pets late into the evening and night...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Roy I am truly Sorry for your loss, I hope Bombur went peacefully. It is never easy losing a loved and loving member of the family. Hopefully you son will understand.
    From the pictures Bombur was a good looking cat.

8. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    'nineoaks2004' Roy - you have my name mixed up with SNEEZER and his cat Bombur's...

We are down to one dog and one cat here... Had an older cat named STINKY go just recently. He ruled the neighborhood here... He was an amazing cat and a pretty big cat - everyone around had a different name for him haha... He cried and cried when he was dying and I held him until his last breath talking too him... That's hard to do let me tell you...

I especially talk to Stinky every morning when I start out walking the dog around where he was laid to rest...

Usually there is some kind of unwritten law that when one cat leaves you hear something at the door and when you look down there is usually another little kitten going "meow meow..." Hasn't happened here yet...

Roy Ken

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Sorry for the mix up. At my age I tend to get a little confused at time :)

10. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Hang in there, Sneezer, we'll all be thinking of you and Bombur.

11. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Thank you everyone. Bombur passed on Sunday. It was a difficult decision and we all did more than our fair share of crying. In the end it was Bombur that made the decision for us, we had placed a towel in the carrier but still had not made the final decision. While we were all sitting on the floor with him and sobbing a little he got up and nuzzled the door with his head, trying to get it open. I opened it and he simply walked in, turned around and laid down. It was time. We gave him his favorite worm toy and a nerf rival ball that he would chase and fetch with us, and into the car we went. I had to pick up a rent car for work as I am on the road this week, so we took care of that before heading to the vet.

While waiting to get the rent car he decided he wanted one last explore, so he wandered around my car, laid on the dash and took a last look at the world outside and said his goodbyes. He curled up on the floor boards by each of us, and then he was ready. My wife took him in, but my son wasn't quite up to going inside with him, and elected to stay in the car and asked that I stay with him. We all had one last goodbye, and my son and I talked about all the great times we had with him (in between sobs) until my wife returned. She said they were very nice and respectful, and his last moments were soothing and pleasant.

The house certainly isn't the same, but our other 3 cats have all been very loving (more so than usual) and are helping us all through this time. I carry a small nerf ball in my pocket now, at least for a little while.

As I left the house yesterday morning to drive to Houston I was greeted at the front door by a neighborhood cat that we had seen around - he lives about 7 houses up the road, and his name is Nacho. He was patiently waiting on the step - I rarely park in the front so I was surprised to see him. He came right up to talk for a spell and rub around my legs. We sat in the grass for a little bit, and then he went on his way to check on the rest of the neighborhood. Later that day he came back to do the same thing with my son. Very sweet and touching.

Goodbye Bombur, you will be missed, and always remembered. We hope to make a small donation in his name to the University of Glasgow in the hopes that someday they may be successful in finding a way to prevent FIP from taking so many cats throughout the world.

Somewhere out there Bombur is chasing fireflies through the night sky, and probably lightning too! I like to think that whenever we are out for a walk he is right there with us, gently pulling on our heart and keeping us curious about the world and seeking new adventures.

12. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Sorry for your loss... it's amazing how our pets become so much a part of us.

myride likes this.
  13. Ruby Jean

Ruby Jean Member

May 30, 2017
    Bellingham, WA
    loss of friend.jpg

14. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    So sorry to read this, Sneezer. Our pets are like family to us; it hurts just as much. I'm so glad that your son has understanding parents who helped him along with this. It's a sad part of growing up, but in a way, it's a nurturing experience. It taught your son to love and love deeply and the aspect of loss will make his love deeper moving forward.

Blessings,
    Belch

15. roybraddy

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I heard that... Just a couple of days ago I went looking all over the house here for my favorite coffee mug. So here I am walking all around looking into things, moving this and that and looking and looking.

Needless to say I was carrying my coffee mug with me and I had to sit it down once I guess to move something and that's when I said "Oh here it is..." I'm just 78 here oh me....

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

16. davekkk

davekkk Member

Oct 7, 2013
    Sorry to hear. We adopted a cat this spring after having no animals in the house for 10 years. They sure do become family quickly. Never could get any cat we owned to play fetch, that is awesome!