A/C Best Practices

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by lostboy, Jul 12, 2018.

1. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    This may be easy questions but we have a new to us hybrid that has an a/c on the roof. We are camping this weekend and it's going to be hot all 3 days. Thankfully we have the a/c or we wouldn't be camping.

Do you leave your a/c running even when you aren't in the camper? We will be spending extended times away from the camper during the day having fun.

I have read that they freeze up if you are not running the fan on high. Is that always the case or just on really hot days when it's almost always trying to cool?

Any other tips or tricks you have learned?

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Hers my opinion. I paid for the site with the hook ups, I leave my AC running the time we are there at the CG if we leave the site to do other things I will turn the thermostat up a little but leave the fan on high. Takes to long to get the camper cool again if I turn it off.

emoney likes this.
  3. crackerJack

crackerJack Active Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Scottsville, KY
    During our annual weeklong trip to the beach, the A/C stays on the entire time.

emoney likes this.
  4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    If we are away most of the day we shut the A/C off. Heck, why leave the A/C on all day to keep a tent cool (basically the pup is a tent on wheels).

If we had a TT, then we would leave it on all day at maybe 75 and then crank it down at night.

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We leave ours on 24/7 in the summer, even if we are going to be away. It just takes too long to cool it down when we get back. Never had any problems.

emoney likes this.
  6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    If I'm gone 90% of the day then I turn it off. Why waste electricity when you are not there to enjoy it. If it's just a few hours I may leave it on. When I took the kiddo to the pool one very hot day for a few hours the AC felt really good to come back to.

7. Riveyman

Riveyman Member

Apr 15, 2014
    NC
    Have always left it on in both the PU and HTT. Never had an issue.
    I've heard a few people say they've froze up but never witnessed it.
    Enjoy the cool air!

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I leave mine on 24 /7 when it is hot, just as I leave the heater on in the winter, I paid for the site so I use the conveniences You can bet they CG does not shut the air (or heat )off if they leave the office for a few hours. Actually the AC runs longer to cool things off.

9. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I leave mine on 24/7 when it is hot. It takes far too long to cool down if I leave it off. I don't have any issues as long as it is running on high. I like it too be cool when I get inside, not 3 hours after I get back.

Orchid likes this.
  10. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    Thanks for the help. Another question.

Is the left to right slider switch only for opening the bottom vents or is it opening for flow from the outside too?
    [​IMG]

11. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    It basically ran all weekend during the day and did great. It was a life saver as our campsite was not shaded until 3 and it was hot and humid.

12. emoney

emoney Member

Jul 7, 2018
    This time of year, it’s almost a must to leave it running, and as they say, it takes less energy to maintain a temp than it does to reach it. Glad you guys had fun!