A/C fan not working

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Orchid, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Thankfully, it stopped working after we got home from our most recent trip, not during!

Anyway, the last night of camping, I turned the a/c down from high to low. On low, it worked, but had a buzzing sound that it's never had before. It bothered me, so I put it back on high and left it there.

After we got home and set up to dry and clean, I went to put on the a/c and the fan isn't working. All settings (fan, heat, and a/c) have the buzzing noise. When I put it on either a/c setting, I can hear the compressor kick on.

I am hoping it's just the capacitor (sp?) as that is a cheap an easy replacement. The buzzing sound has me concerned that it's the fan motor. I hope not, but still maybe cheaper than anything to do with the compressor.

We have an ABS roof, so it's going to be a pain to work on the a/c from the top. And I'll have to finish cleaning in the heat and wait until it's dry enough to put it down before we check it out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I have never worked on these units, but it does sound like the fan motor is probably tight...

Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

It's a good thing to hear the compressor kick on. If you can get to the fan, try to spin it by hand and see if it will start for you. The start capacitor is usually pretty easy to replace. I've done the one on my home AC unit and it takes just a few minutes. Good Luck!

Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Put boards down on the roof to support your weight when working on the unit

Orchid likes this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Check for a dirt dobber nest. I have seen them build a nest on the fan and stop it from turning. However it sounds like there could be another problem but I would check that first as that is the cheap way :) either capacitor, bearings or windings

Orchid likes this.
  6. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Much ado about nothing, in fact "boards" would only damage the ABS surface which is curved. I installed a Carrier AirV A/C on my own Santa Fe so I spent quite a bit of time on the roof - it's a non-issue.

[​IMG]

Orchid likes this.
  7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

8. Orchid

Finally got the fan capacitor off today and ordered replacement. Hubby got on the roof to do it, and as @GreyFox said, it was a non-issue. The roof didn't even flinch. Much stronger than I gave it credit for.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Sorry, a Fleetwood ABS Strata roof IS curved and NOT flat. When mounting A/C the rubber gasket affixed to the underside of the top unit takes up the difference created by the curve of the roof.

[​IMG]

Orchid likes this.
  10. Orchid

All was well under there. Fan motor and "stem" - I don't know what else to call it, are super rusted. There was a crack in the shroud when we bought it and hard to say how long they had been exposed to the elements. Even with the rust, fan turned easily.

If the fan capacitor doesn't work, I'll have to take the inside all apart again and check the wiring. I rewired the entire thing last summer, and it was SUPER HOT and miserable in there while I was doing it. I feel like I would have wired it well, as I'm a very thorough person, and a perfectionist when I'm doing thing like that. Even so, I was hot and my arms were killing me, from working over my head so much. There is a always a possibility that something came loose. For $20, I wanted to try the capacitor before going there.

11. Orchid

Fan capacitor came today. Popped it in and lifted the roof enough to check the a/c. It's working GREAT! Serious heat wave here in Florida and it was putting out freezing cold air like a boss. Yep, I did strap the capacitors back in tightly before closing things up. Just clicked a photo first.

So glad it wasn't anything worse. Only $20.61 to fix it. I'm so thankful for this forum! Prior to hanging around here, I would have had no idea where to start. Thank you to all the people who have shared their knowledge over the years and educated to me about pups.

It always pays to read threads, even if you're not currently having the problem. Knowledge is power and sure does save the $$$ for more camping trips.

[​IMG]

xxxapache, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Cool!

Orchid likes this.
  13. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Glad you got it figured out and fixed!

Orchid likes this.
  14. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

This is a common problem with home AC units also. Now you know how to fix that too!