A/C got warn and the threw breaker

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by G8tor38, Jun 27, 2019.

1. G8tor38

G8tor38 Member

We have a 2005 Fleetwood Niagara with the 13,500 Mach unit. We recently developed an issue with the a/c and not sure these two are related. We set it up after sitting for winter and did the normal spring cleaning, even after the heavy FLORIDA rains we had received the two weeks prior to setting it up we were relieved to see the camper was still dry. After the lea i g we closed it up and prepared for a camping trip a week down the road. When we arrived at our camp site a week later we noticed that after we closed up the camper from spring cleaning it, the a/c had leaked water inside the interior roof panels but didn’t leak out until we closed it up, luckily it wasn’t too bad. I think we found it to be the duct between the inner and outer a/c units wasn’t installed properly creating condensation and leaking inside the ceiling but not certain.
    We have been dealing with insurance to get repairs done due
    to my wife has bad allergies and trying to stop any mold or-mildew from starting.
    Now to today, I opened the camper to run the a/c, and a dehumidifier. After running both all night I decided to turn the-dehumidifier off and only run the a/c since it basically does the same thing.
    Around 1 pm I went in the camper to make notes on water damage for insurance and noticed it was hot (97 outside) but the a/c has always kept the inside of the camper ice cold so i started worrying about the a/c since we had been having issues. I left for a minutes and came back and the unit was off, I checked the breaker in my garage and it was good but then noticed my wife (I always plug this in myself) had not plugged the main 30 amp plug in fully and it had backed out, argh, I plugged it in and the unit came back on once I turned it on when getting back inside the camper.
    The a/c was on high cool and yes it was on the coldest setting I could put it on so it running warm didn’t make sense. I cycled the switch to fan only and could tell a difference in sound from the compressor but not like a normal shutdown, just a slight difference. When I cycled it back on the same thing, not a huge drop when the compessor would normally kick on, it just hummed, but more then just the capacitor it seemed, but maybe not. I messed with the switches a bit and thought I let it run a while, as I left the camper I heard the breaker in the camper flip off, now no power to the a/c. I am leaving the breaker off, capacitor maybe? Any thoughts?

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I would check the Cap. first. Sounds like the compressor is getting hot and going out on overload. The fins can be clogged too and need to be cleaned with foaming cleaner this would also cause the problem cause the problem

3. G8tor38

G8tor38 Member

I let the unit sit a while after it tripped the breaker and it did come back on, wasn’t cooling much but did turn on. My plans are to check the capacitor this morning and plan to clean the fins once the camper is all closed up again.
    I did notice that it looked like someone had installed a “hard start capacitor” or are these factory? I am no a/c mech, just saw them in some posts earlier and recognized it in my unit. I will update the post and let you know how it comes out.

4. G8tor38

G8tor38 Member

Well I had the time to dig around on the a/c this morning, since I am electrically challenged I took the run capacitor and hard start capacitor to our local appliance shop and had them checked. I was told they were ok, but the hard start capacitor has a range of 88-108 and was at the low end at 89, even though it’s in range, does it mean it’s getting weak and if so could this be the reason the compressor isn’t kicking on?
    I stopped by the local RV dealer and he said it could be the thermostat, or the limit switch, or the compressor itself, lol.
    If anyone has some direction on checking these items i’m all ears.
    thanks

5. G8tor38

G8tor38 Member

for anyone curious, turned out it was the hard start capacitor, the capacitor tested good but was at the low range of what the capacitor was rated for. Due to some debris around the top I decided to give it a go after testing the limit switch and compressor and both testing good. I installed the new capacitor and it’s running like it should as of last check in the Florida heat. I didn’t hear the compressor come on at first and thought it didn’t fix the problem but when I got on the roof to put the shroud on the compressor was on and I was a “Happy Camper” to say the least. Hope this helps someone, cause there wasn’t a lot of help coming my way on this one except nine oaks which I appreciate tremendously for his input which was spot on, thanks nine!

6. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Thank you for posting the solution. I am clueless about AC and I appreciate your passing on good information.