A/C help

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Harveyfam, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Harveyfam

Harveyfam New Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Hello all!
    I have a 2001 Coleman Sea Pine. Today I went to turn on the a/c and the fan wouldn’t turn on. There waz a quiet buzzing noise, but no fan. When I turned it on cool, I heard the compressor kick on, but still no fan. After changing fuses etc.. to no avail, I lowered her down and took off the a/c cover. Everything appeared to be connected properly, and I was able to freely spin the fan by hand. I raised her up, turned on the fan, and still nothing. So I tried to manually spin the fan to get it started while it was on and sure enough it kicked on after I spun it! I let it run for a while, turned it off and tried to get it going again and same problem. It will only start if I manually “kick start” it by hand. Any ideas as to whats wrong , or how to fix it? Many thanks in advance!!

2. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Thousand Oaks CA
    Sounds like you don't have enough power to run it. How do you have it connected? A long extension cord to an outlet at the house? Or are you camping and have it connected to the 30 amp post?
    Has it worked in this manner before?
    In general, a 15a home circuit may not be enough to power your a/c.

3. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Active Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Warren, MI
    Just my 2 cents. If you can be sure that the compressor is running, then you have adequate power... The fan doesn't draw much power at all. I don't know much about the ac units. Is there a starting capacitor that could be bad?

4. Harveyfam

Harveyfam New Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Wow! That would be great if that explains it. I do have it comnected to a standard household outlet. Thanks for the info!

5. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Mar 10, 2008
    Highland Springs Va
    ok you need to be plugged into a 30 amp 120v outlet. second if the compressor is coming on and the fan is not coming on you could have two different problems. one the start winding on the blower motor could be going bad. or the dual run capacitor is weak/bad on the blower side.

6. Harveyfam

Harveyfam New Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Thanks so much. Does the fact that I am able to manually spin it to get it started and then it stays on help differentiate what the problem might be?

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Sounds like a bad capacitor to me.

xZoomerZx likes this.
  8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    X 2 if the compressor runs but not the fan, you have enough power to run it, the fan draws very little power to run, usually the capacitor has gone bad or the fan motor itself is bad. You might also want to look at the lugs going to the capacitor for a bad connection (this happens occasionally too. Good luck and Happy Camping

9. Mr.SumSum

Mr.SumSum New Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Sounds like bad capacitor to me

10. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Spinning the motor by hand and having it work is the classic symptom of a bad starting capacitor.

11. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Mar 10, 2008
    Highland Springs Va
    rv ac don't have a start cap only a run cap

12. Harveyfam

Harveyfam New Member

Jan 18, 2016
    So I switched out the fan capacitor and sure enough the fan came back on perfectly. Problem is now the compressor will not turn on. Go figure. So I put back the old capacitor and sure enough, I was back to square one, that is the fan wouldn’t start but the compressor kicked on no problem. Any suggestions?

13. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Sounds like the wrong capacitor possibly?

14. Harveyfam

Harveyfam New Member

Jan 18, 2016
    The capacitor I replaced is a match. Do you mean I should have replaced the compressor capacitor rather then the fan capacitor?