A/C sealant

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Yellowdog, May 30, 2018.

1. Yellowdog

Yellowdog New Member

I’ve had my new to me pop up for a few months now and Ive discovered a leak coming from around the a/c. After investigation there was 2 screw holes on the roof under the unit for some reason not sealed up. I’ve taken the whole unit off inside and out and letting the wood dry on the roof. I’ve been watching and reading on how to install the unit properly and a question I have is does anyone use any silicon around the gasket to help seal it off? Not sure if thats overkill to seal around the gasket or not but I’m just worried about another leak and definitely don’t want that again.

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

I would put some in the screw holes, but not around the gasket. Just my opinion though.

3. Yellowdog

Yellowdog New Member

Yes I will definitely fill all screw holes, which there are a few. The folks I bought this thing from made a real mess of it. Instead of using bolts from the bottom through the metal plate inside of the unit frame to the outside to sandwich it together they put 2 bolts down through the roof and a ton of that great stuff foam under it to hold it. The metal frame inside was held up with small drywall screws. I should have taken pictures to show how not to install an air unit

4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Well hope you get it fixed and installed properly, good luck.

5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Did you replace the gasket with new? I have read many places that any time you remove the A/C unit, you should replace the gasket with new.

6. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

You don't have your PUP or year listed but if you don't know for sure if the gasket has been replaced within the last 6 years or so make sure to install a new one ( I personally would anyway , they're cheap)

7. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

use a new gasket and DO NOT silicone the gasket. Maybe some silicone over the screw holes.

8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

After the framing has dried out I would check it with an awl to see how solid the framing is, and possibly treat it with something like Bondo Wood Restorer if you think it's recoverable. Be careful not to let this stuff drip on the canvas. Clean the roof carefully to make sure you're not leaving anything under new gasket when you replace the unit.

9. Yellowdog

Yellowdog New Member

New gasket is ordered, the old one seemed ok but for $15 I thought I would buy a new one. The wood seems good still. I don’t think the A/C has been on very long so the damage is minimal. It’s been kept under an awning out of the weather by myself and the previous owner. It’s a 1994 Jayco jayseires 1207 is the model. I don’t believe this one came standard with air but the roof seems sturdy enough to hold it. And when traveling down the road the unit rest on top of the front bed so it dosnt bounce around at all.