A/C Smells Funny

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Handy, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Handy

Handy New Member

We have been camping a few times this winter... Running mainly the furnace as well as the heat strip in the A/C unit. However, on a couple of days, we needed to run the A/C during the middle of the day to cool off the camper. When doing so, the camper would always smell musty. I have cleaned everything on the inside of the A/C, but it still smells.

Is there anything on the outside unit that needs to be cleaned?? Also, Is there any maintenance that needs to be done on the outside unit??

2. Pete

Pete Member

Hello Handy. I had my inside cover out yesterday to install heat strip. I saw that the ducts inside are lined with some sort of insulation. If it got wet at some time it could have molded and cause a musty smell. Also if the evaporater which is on the inside has buildup on it and gets moist it may cause a musty smell when in use. Most of the time it happens if water can not run off properly.Hope this helps.

2002 Dodge Caravan
    1997 1224 Starcraft Spacestar

3. Handy

Handy New Member

I was thinking of cleaning the inside and outside coils, much like you would do on your home unit, too see if that would help.

4. Pete

Pete Member

It might not hurt to clean outside but i would concentrate on the inside.

2002 Dodge Caravan
    1997 1224 Starcraft Spacestar

5. Micksc

Micksc New Member

Handy, it's possible that algea (sp?) have built up in your condensate drain under the Evap. coil. You can eliminate it with algeacide or bleach solution, but that may harm your canvas. If you can run some hot water thru the drain it should clear it up.
    Mick

Me'42
    DW'42
    00 Coleman Cheyenne
    03 Iszusu Ascender