a/c under bunk

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by neilmc22, Apr 30, 2018.

1. neilmc22

neilmc22 New Member

I want to add a 5,000 btu window ac to my Jayco pup. I saw somewhere that someone had mounted a unit in the storage area underneath the dinette seat and the front bunk. If I recall they had cut an opening in the rear of the storage area for the front controls and the majority of the unit was under the bed. Has anyone ever seen anything like that, and if so,can you send me a link. Thanks

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

You will need a way to route the condensate out and some way to vent the heat out....In the end, you will have a AC unit only about 1/3 the btu it needs to be.

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Google - pop up camper window air conditioner.

On the main page, there are quite a few videos and links to ideas on how to do it. Under "images" you will see lots of pics with different ideas.

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I would rethink the 5k btu. A 13k btu strains to keep a pup cool in the heat of the day.

5. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

That was my first thought.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

[2C] if you take in insulation measures to reflect some of the sun away from the popup and use fans to push the cold air off the floor it may at least provide a little help. Although still probably going to be pretty uncomfortable unless you sleep on the floor. If you go for a bigger AC unit on the back you may risk taking too much weight off the tongue unless you make the unit movable. They do make a desktop portable AC although they are expensive but may work better because it can be put on the counter helping get the cold air off the floor.

7. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I have done this. It was with my 86 Coleman Columbia. It didn't work well. While I had no problem with drainage, 5k btu cannot come close to keeping a camper cool in the Southeast where I lived at the time. Yes you can add insulation to the bunk ends and walls, but by the time you have done that, you could have paid for a bigger freestanding unit. Also all the cold air was trapped on the floor and didn't get into the bunk ends. I had to set up fans to move it off the floor.

I would look at a freestanding A/C or suck it up and buy a roof unit. Either way you need no less than 8000 btu in a freestanding unit. I would go for 13.5K if you can find it.

8. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

wow Love many of DIY A/C!

Orchid likes this.
  9. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I did a review of a 2018 Aliner Scout that comes with a 5000 BTU AC under the bed. You can check it out for the issues I have with it.

10. Norseman79

Norseman79 New Member

6000 btu's, two fans, and cut reflectix inserts in the bunk windows 20180630_170429.jpg 20180630_170409.jpg 20180630_104422.jpg 20180630_104422.jpg works awesome for us. Comfy during really hot days and chilly at night.

11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Bet it works better than the new Aliners AC.

12. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

That will give you cold feet. LOL

13. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

My Coleman TT came with a 8K unit, and if turned all the way up we can hang meat in there, it is mounted in a cabinet on the inside and is up high so the air circulates as it should.
    I once saw a fella tent camping at Salt Springs CG, he had cut a square hole in the side of the tent and had an AC sitting on car tubes stacked, and it sat on top of that, he said it cooled the tent really well.