A/C unit

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by JHOP, Jun 14, 2018.

1. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

Oct 6, 2017
    This is our first long trip in the pup and 2 days into the trip, an electrical cable fell from the ceiling. It looked like it had been taped up. We followed it and turns out it's to the a/c unit. So, looks like that was aftermarket. No problem but, what's the best/most appropriate way to reattach the electrical cable to the pup?

Attached Files:

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Whatever you do it must collapse when letting the top down. A fabric cover is some times used. I had one that had the wire on the ceiling and a plug installed on the roof, I hooked a cord to that and ran it to the pedestal 20 amp service.

3. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo

4. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    The cord hanging down doesn't necessarily mean it's an aftermarket unit. A lot of the OEM ACs have a cord that is not wired into the PUP. This is so you can run the AC off it's own 20a breaker at the power pole and isolate it from the rest of the electrical systems.
    As far as reattaching it goes- glue? sticky squares/zip ties?

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Mine has a strip like that that terminates at the side by the door, the cord is run through it. It is then bunched up for storage and attached to the roof . To plug it in you have to unwind the cord , and plug it into the 20 amp outlet by the table in the camper. It was installed like this from the factory .

6. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

It's supposed to be like that. Not aftermarket. Attach to the roof with cable clips. They are where the coaxial cable is in Walmart.

Sjm9911 and JHOP like this.
  7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Mine is exactly like that. When Im done using the AC I roll up the cord and just behind the valance is some velcro. Keeps everything neat when not using it. Although my cord really is not long enough to go outside to the power box so I'm stuck plugging it in inside. I just have to remember to use a different circuit for everything else.

8. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

Oct 6, 2017
    @jmkay1 we have to plug inside too, so we turn it off when running the hair dryer (family of all women and 1 man)

I'll look into the cable clips. For the time being, duct tape is holding it up on the wall.

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Jmkay1, I made a heavy duty extention cord so I could use it in my driveway while working on it. Could be an option.