A/C without hookups

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by adrianpglover, Feb 22, 2016.

1. adrianpglover

adrianpglover Active Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    I'm not saying anyone should do this or even has the room to do this on a PUP, but still a cool video. It may have been posted here before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0rZY5uotKI

These guys have a LOT of money in their rig between the batteries, solar, chargers, inverter, etc. Not something you want to try on a PUP, unless you want an entire bed of batteries.

2. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

Mar 8, 2015
    Yeah, first and foremost, before we get into the batteries, solar, converter ect. Can we actually call that camping? That is more luxurious than my house and most houses I have seen.....LOL

Dback2k4, Orchid and bob barnes like this.
  3. Mally

Mally Member

Sep 21, 2015
    +1

My house is no where near that nice!! [LOL]

I'm imagining someone "double towing" their pop up with a utility trailer behind it full of a bank of batteries. That's a fun mental image.

Orchid likes this.
  4. money pit

money pit What could be so bad??? We are camping!!!

Oct 5, 2014
    man 86 amp pull on the system.....that is way harsh! as for use in a pup LMAO I agree you would have to piggy back a huge bank of batteries and one hella large bank of solar panels in a 2nd trailer but it is pretty cool idea for a motor home

bob barnes likes this.
  5. adrianpglover

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    Still, at the peak of the sun they're pulling out almost double what they're putting into the batteries. They might be able to do it for a while, but after the second day of that they'll have to run the generator that night to charge back up.

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Be careful what you guys don't consider camping on here. I got my A$$ bit once or twice for expressing those sentiments. :)

NMroamer, Orchid and bob barnes like this.
  7. Mally

Mally Member

Sep 21, 2015
    Haha. To each their own! Don't get me wrong, come summer down here in TX, I would prefer some A/C to be happy. But I prefer boondocking, so my camping season usually ends by late may at the latest haha. Starts back up around September/October.

God forbid people have differing opinions [;)]

8. money pit

Oct 5, 2014
    I dont have the system set up at this time but I think with a top of the line power system and at least a couple of batteries with solar I might be able to get my roof top AC to run off grid. my ac uses 24 amps to start and 17 to run.....but man that is a lot of messing around...... :smile_question1: evil thoughts rolling around in my head! :smile_question1:

bob barnes likes this.
  9. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Is that 24 amps at 110Vs or 12Vs?

10. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Mar 29, 2010
    so if you are running off an inverter you will need 10x the amount of ac amps, that will make it like 240 amps to start and 170 to run? You will need some serious battery pack to get a weekend worth of power....

bob barnes likes this.
  11. adrianpglover

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    The other thing to note here is normally a rig the size of the one in the video has two AC units, not just one. They're only talking about turning one on.

12. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Do you think it's safe to say that running A/C from a battery is not practical?

Dback2k4, Orchid and bob barnes like this.
  13. adrianpglover

Jul 8, 2014
    Texas
    Yes, "not practical" is probably the best way to put it.

It all just comes down to a few factors: having enough energy storage, that energy storage being able to supply enough continuous power, an inverter beefy enough to turn that DC energy storage to AC power, and finally a way to replenish the energy storage faster than what you are pulling out. Remember that you have to be able to do this over a 24 hour period and end up with at least as much energy in your storage devices as you had 24 hours previously, otherwise you'll run them dead fairly quickly.

Getting technical here:
    They stated quite a few times in the video that they have this product or that one. One thing that really helps them do this within the package of their RV is using lithium batteries. They didn't say it, but they're most likely a Lithium-Ion type special deep cycle battery. Lithium-Ion batteries can discharge at a rate of 20-30C, if you use the right cell. This means that if it's labeled as a "3 A-hr battery", it could be discharged at a rate of 60-90 Amps. A don't remember exactly because I haven't dealt with them in a battery backup scenario for a few years, but your typical Lead-Acid battery is only good for around a 5-10C rate discharge. Also Lithium-Ion batteries are more compact. Now there's a lot of other stuff going on in a battery, especially in Lithium-Ion types, but you get the idea.

They also stated that using their batteries in this manner would decrease the life of them. I don't think they mentioned this, but the outside temperature has a lot to do with the life. If the temp is too cold, say below 20 degrees C, then the electrolyte doesn't want to allow electrons to flow, meaning it's harder to get current out of the battery. That's why we spec car batteries in Cold Cranking Amps (CCA), because when it's warmer, we don't have to worry about how much current they can provide because it's easier on them. On the flip side, putting current through an already warm battery, whether charging or discharging, will cause it to loose a bit of it's life. The warmer it is or the higher the currents, the quicker you kill the battery's life.

What I would have liked for them to have put into the video is the duty cycle that their AC was running at. What I mean is when the fan is the only thing running, it was only drawing a small amount of current. When the compressor was running, it was drawing up around 80 Amps. How long was it running at the 80 Amp number versus running down at the lower current number? This data, along with the current levels at the upper and lower ends and adding in the current coming from the solar panels will tell you how long you could expect this to continue, assuming you don't get clouds, the temperature doesn't change, the sun doesn't go down, etc. Plus I doubt they had anything else running in their RV while doing this test.

So not only not practical, but extremely expensive. I'd much rather buy a few hundred feed of 4 AWG wire as an extension cord, run a generator way away from my site, and modify the generator to have a very quiet muffler.

bob barnes likes this.
  14. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Mar 7, 2012
  15. webhannet

webhannet Member

Feb 8, 2016
    So, I've spent my $600. for my TurboCool. it's installed, and I kick back to enjoy the coolness. With 80 degrees outside, and probably less humidity that I would find on a summer night - I can expect a cool breeze of THREE DEGREES less.

Once I realize the cost and effort, my own temperature would rise by three degrees, so that's a net effect of zero (except for the time and money).

16. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Their ad specs cooling between 20 and 30 degrees.

17. Mally

Mally Member

Sep 21, 2015
    They have a chart that shows ambient air temperature in conjunction with relative humidity to show how many degrees the unit will actually lower the temp.

Down in my neck of the woods, I would be lucky to get a few degrees haha.

Orchid likes this.
  18. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Mar 7, 2012
    a camper had one installed at the Nevada Spring Rally and he was getting about 20 deg. difference and he was running off a HF 45 W solar set up.

19. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    The more rapid the evaporation the more cooling is possible. With the air saturated or nearly so you will get squat.

20. money pit

Oct 5, 2014
    the amps i was talking about was on 110v yeah at 12 it would just crush any batteries that i might have.....and remember there would be no way anyone could power up that size of ac unit in a pup at 12v That rv AC is prolly twice of not more of the size as my domestic on my pup lol