A/C

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by CamperGirl2424, Apr 4, 2019.

1. CamperGirl2424

CamperGirl2424 New Member

Hello!

I purchased a 1995 Viking and it does not have a a/c in it. Can I put a A/c unit in it? it has the furnace of course (not sure if it works). Summers get hot so we would love to put a a/c in! my husband thought of a stand up a/c that plugs in and we pack it with us? what kind do you guys buy and use?

Thanks!

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

You can put on a rooftop. A rooftop AC is generally 13.5k but. A pup in direct sunlight needs all of it, too. Most portable AC's are 8 to 10k bou and aren't as efficient because the exhaust hose radiates some heat.

I used a 8k portable in my hardside Apache, which I would guess is more insulated than a canvas trailer. In direct sunlight it would just hold the inside temp to the outside. We made a shielded sleeve for the exhaust hose and reflective covers for the windows and bunk ends. That helped it cool to 10 to 15 below the outside temp in direct sunlight.

A little shade goes a long way in helping a AC.

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Yes you can add an A/C. Also with a pup you need to minimize your heat gain. Gizmos on the bunk ends and refleix in the windows helps a lot.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I never recommend cutting into the roof or drilling holes in it if you can help it. There are several portable A/C units which can be used.

I can imagine the eyes rolling as I say this but, I went cross country in late August of 2017 without A/C (108 degrees at Lake Meade) and I did fine.

nineoaks2004 and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

As you can see no one listens to steve! Kidding.
    He is right though, rooftop ac are big $$$. The portable kind, make sure its a high btu, can cool you off a bit. Remember its not only the temperature that makes it convertible but the removal of the humidity! If going the rooftop route, make sure your camper was made to hold one.

6. Blackripley

Blackripley Member

You also have to keep in mind that an A/C unit is going to up a lot of power. I would run it direct off of the shore power and not through the pop-up's 25+ year old wiring harness. If were me, I would look at adding a portable window unit. The higher the better, heat rises and cold falls you want that turbulence of mixing the air working for you. Also the A/C unit its self gets hot and you don't want to have to cool the heat it is putting off, so more of the unit outside with good ventilation the better.

I like how they did it here.
    http://www.doityourselfrv.com/pop-up-trailer-air-conditioning/
    [​IMG]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I also do not have A/C on my pup. I have been researching portable A/C units for a couple of years and will purchase one when the time comes that I need it.

They are cheaper, don't add extra weight to the roof and I have the space in the pup for one.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Ive seen all kind of window AC mods, through the front box, through the refriderator spot in the wall. You can do anything as long as it drains and has power.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  9. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

It will cost in the neighborhood of $1500 to add a rooftop rv AC. We dont use ours often, but when we need it, we are glad we have it.

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I looked into adding a rooftop ac to my old camper. The shop I talked to first quoted me $1000 for just the unit. If they did the work an additional $500-$1000 labor depending if the camper had the appropriate supports. Turned out my old camper did not have the supports. I was also very hesitant to add it to a 30 year old roof. It could exasperate any hidden roof problems. I tried an old 5000 btu window unit in my old camper once but it was still extremely hot inside the camper, it just couldn't keep up and that's in the shade.

11. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

When I added ac to my Newport, I bought an abused pup with no canvas and a bad roof. I made them prove the ac worked. Gave them $250 for the junker and put the ac on my good pup. I plug it in separately on my pup. I took all the salvageable parts off the old one and turned it into a utility trailer, sold it for $250.

Sjm9911 likes this.