A camper for "Tiny House" owners

Discussion in 'Off The Wall Campers' started by Lug_Nut, May 13, 2017.

1. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut New Member

May 29, 2016
    Mt. Wachusett area, MA
    0905151147b.JPG
    This was my camper for my solo trips before she saw the pictures and decided she wanted to come along. There's no way this is suited for two, it barely fit me for the two+ week trip through Labrador and Newfoundland. Needless to say this one was sold to purchase the big (8 foot box) what is now "our" more conventional pop-up.
    This one was constructed of plywood, PVC pipe and joints (no glue, just slip fit), and polyurethane coated fabric on a Harbor Freight 40 x 48 inch trailer chassis. Total weight is just under 300 lb. Just 120 on each wheel and 45 lb. on the tongue.
    To get an idea of the size, the canopy below is 10x10 with an 8x8 top.
    100_1234.JPG

Still, the bed was 36 x 78 inches, just big enough that I could sit on the edge of the bed to get dressed and NOT have to open the door to put my shoes on. The center of the bed folded up to become a 24 x 40 inch table with seating for two, but, as you can see, headroom is tight.
    100_1581.JPG

The small size and light weight did mean that it towed without any issue. At one toll stop the attendant handed back change at a two axle rate, not seeing the trailer until I pulled through.

I'll miss it, but the replacement suits "us" better, so that's that.

Haybale and BelchFire like this.
  2. davekkk

davekkk Member

Oct 7, 2013
    You made that? It looks pretty cool!

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    nice job, this would be great for one person, I had one about the same size long time ago, mine only had 1 wheel, in the rear front had 2 bumper clamps , made by sears, was perfect for me and my son, but had to go bigger as I discovered really fast when the wife an our three girls wanted to start going, really loved that little camper. Enjoy the new one and happy camping...