a couple more "no more fears"

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by penny, May 21, 2019.

1. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I've been sort of dreading the step of taking the trailer our for longer trips by myself. the hitching and unhitching, navigating in cities towing the trailer, these were things I was a bit worried about.

I've also been worried about getting stuck in bad driving weather.

This week, I decided to take the trailer to avoid a weeklong motel stay for a visit I needed to make. So, not a cross country trek, but about 4-5 hrs to Tucson. I've done the trip a lot, just not with the trailer. Happy to say, It was just fine.

I badly needed a towing mirror extension for the passenger side while driving in multi-lane heavy traffic, and I've already ordered one for the trip home. Siri did well navigating me to destinations, so that case of nerves is over.

about 30 minutes into the trip, the wind really started picking up. by the time I got to Deming, it was terrible. I tightened the sway control bar, slowed down and nothing scary happened. trailer didn't sway or wag, so feel a lot better about that too.

Catalina State Park is beautiful, and I'm so delighted to be in my own little "house" here!

2. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Glad you got that under your belt. The unknown is almost always worse than the actual.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Congrats!

That first step is always scary. Now that you made it, the rest will be that much easier.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

The sway control arms make a world of difference.

5. penny

penny Well-Known Member

really, they do!

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Congrats on a good 1st trip out and back, it get easier each trip from here on...Good Luck and Keep on Camping

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Congrats. Catalina is one of our favorite places - we'll be meeting our Tucson friends there for Thanksgiving again this year. Having a bit more angle of view is definitely handy getting to Catalina, no matter which route we take!

8. penny

penny Well-Known Member

We have only camped here one other time. Our son lives very close and we usually stay with him. With the end of school, and him starting a new job, I just needed a bit of my own space this visit. It's cool and lovely this time of year. not many other campers right now, I know there are a lot of snowbirds in the winter here. I bet thanksgiving here would be really fun!

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We've hiked there a couple of times while visiting our friends at Thanksgiving. Last year, we did camp there for Thanksgiving, but one of the friends had surgery the day before and canceled their site so we spent most of the time at their house. They managed to come out and spend Sat. with us, so got a little campground time.

10. penny

penny Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed my relaxing time there. I'm home, left the camper at my son's. we go back for a camp driveway next week, then on to California coast with other kids. May need a vacation from my vacation!!