A Frame mods.

Discussion in 'Checkout My Rig !' started by kreich, Sep 5, 2011.

1. kreich

kreich Member

May 5, 2007
    Hale Center TX
    Lets see your A frame mods folks.

2. Mike G.

Mike G. New Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Great request!

3. gsocamper

gsocamper New Member

Jul 29, 2011
    I agree. We haven't made any yet. Only added a stacking drawer for more storage. But, would love to see other ideas. I did see some mods on another forum for a screen door that I am very interested in. Also would love to find the perfect awning for these a-frames.

4. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    There hasn't been much we've felt we've need to mod on our a-frame. Here's the total list in case you might get some ideas:

1) Installed a kill switch on the battery box. When we're away from the camper, we turn it off so the gas detector doesn't draw on the battery. Cheap, easy mod.

2) Replaced the steel propane cylinder with a translucent polymer one. Now to check the propane level, we just glance at the cylinder. Love it.

3) Painted the link on the safety chain where we hook the chain bright pink with nail polish. (Okay, that was my gal's idea... but it really helps).

4) Got a couple S-Biner carabiners that we slip over the locking handles for a-frame walls; we hang our jackets and hats on them.

5) Got a solar panel and cheap solar charge controller to recharge the battery when boondocking; see the thread under Electrical called "First Experience with Solar."

6) Replaced interior lights with LEDs; great light and they use a fraction of the battery power.

7) Stuck some red and white safety strips on the camper frame.

Really, there's not a lot that has to be done for most a-frames, though you can see some interesting ones in Chalet and Aliner group pages on Yahoo.

5. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Central Wisconsin
    Not a mod but, this spring I totaly sanded mine and repainted it with Rustolum black, hammer finish. It looks real nice and even the wife likes it. [:D]

6. gsocamper

gsocamper New Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Funny thing Travelhoveler, we just bought a battery kill-switch at Harbor Freight last night.

7. colemanpup

colemanpup mods: never leave well enough alone...

May 13, 2009
    Sunny Florida
    i bolted a 4 bike carrier to my back bumper with no problems--NOT something i could do wth the pups ive owned. i have custom installed a 5000 btu a/c into the back of the chalet; sure beats the factory configuration. i use a few foam blocks to help support/buffer the side panels in the folded position; seems to help distribute some of the load. the previous owner laid down bamboo flooring--excellent choice. LED replacement lamps in tail lights. there are so many tweaks, just like pups...

8. colemanpup

colemanpup mods: never leave well enough alone...

May 13, 2009
    Sunny Florida
    i would like to uninstall the furnace and use the space for storage(like pot & pan, etc). a small ceramic electric heater is all i need.
    anyone tackle this yet??

9. ColoDisco

ColoDisco New Member

Feb 10, 2011
    I have got a before and after pic!
    I had my fab guy do this. Wanted room for 2 batteries and a propane tank.
    He even managed to make a small box space which I have yet to find a box that can fit.
    He also made a new wheel jack mount. To say the least I am very pleased:

Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Just before I repainted the "A" frame
    [​IMG]

All primed up and ready to be painted
    [​IMG]

Here is the after. I also added a storage box before I repainted.
    [​IMG]

11. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

Mar 8, 2011
    There are two types of "A-frames."

One is the a-frame part of a trailer frame, the projecting part that extends from the front to the trailer jack, and where propane cylinders and batteries are often housed.

The other type is an a-frame camper, like a Chalet or an Aliner, a type of hardsided folding pup.

Kreich recently acquired an Aliner, so I imagine he is asking about mods to the latter...

12. jamesmc321

jamesmc321 New Member

Aug 18, 2011
    I kinda liked seeing the responses on both :)

13. ColoDisco

ColoDisco New Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Oop! That never dawned on me. I always looked at those as hardsided vs "Pop up", ,No offense of course.
    [;)]

14. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Just dawned on me too! No offense to the Aliner folks. Just never thought of it...but then again it would be a good topic on the forum for both.

15. TioLoco

TioLoco New Member

May 18, 2014
    question: did it have an impact on the temperature inside the trailer? I like the idea, because I'd like to match my tow vehicle.

16. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Central Wisconsin
    The A frame I was refering to was the section of frame in front of the camper body, but I think the original poster was refering to A frame campers.

17. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I thought they were talking about the PUP frame also.....