A problem to be solved....electrical....

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by p, May 14, 2019.

1. p

p Active Member

Two symptoms:

Note. I have a digital meter inside the trailer

A) trailer volt meter reading does not change when connected to tow vehicle (it did last summer). Meter reading only changes when trailer is plugged into shore power.

B) Three way Fridge does not work on shore, ac power. I am using propane option and it works fine.

Are these issues connected?

Thanks.

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Unlikely related.

For the TV power, I'd check the TV fuse for the power link first. If it is good, probe the 7-pin plug with the engine running and see if you're getting 12V at the 12V pin (#4 Red below):
    [​IMG]

If not, and the fuse is good, then you don't have power at the pin and you may need to track that down... perhaps there's a relay, perhaps not.

If you do have 12V at the #4 pin, then you may not be getting power to the battery/converter when connected. It could be a blown inline fuse or perhaps just a bad connection or cut wire along the route.

If the fridge has 120VAC at the plug, and it's not cooling, then the 120V warming element is shot... it's not a big deal. It is replaceable, but if it works on LP, that's easy and works well. Check your GFCI first, or just plug something into the same outlet at the fridge and if it works, you have power and the element is shot. It's also possible your switches are shot... mine were arcing something fierce and I replaced them, but my element was still shot.

Good luck.

3. erich82

erich82 Active Member

I'd agree with Generok. You didn't mention what your meter read while connected. Is it reading 14.2 ish volts while plugged into AC but only 12.xx volts while hooked up to the tow vehicle?

If that's the case, it's between your battery and TV. Fuse, trailer wiring connector, wiring on your towing harness/connector.
    Also - does your TV have 14.2 volts on its battery while running? Could also be the TV alternator.

4. p

p Active Member

Yes...it reads, "14.2 ish volts while plugged into AC but only 12.xx volts while hooked up to the tow vehicle"

Also, regarding the comment "It could be a blown inline fuse or perhaps just a bad connection or cut wire along the route"...if the fuse was blown...the interior of the trailer should not work at all...but it does.

Thanks

5. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

voltage when plugged in to TV - was that with engine running or off?

6. p

p Active Member

"voltage when plugged in to TV - was that with engine running or off?"

....awesome question...I forgot. I think the TV was off. Will double check.

7. erich82

erich82 Active Member

Well or course it won't read over 12.xx volts if the TV is not running. The 14.2V is only of the TV is running, as the alternator is providing the charge.

Sounds like this isn't a problem after all.

8. erich82

erich82 Active Member

See my above comment regarding TV charging, but we were referring to a fuse or connection between the TV and pup and not after the pup battery.

9. p

p Active Member

I wish it was that simple. The fridge still does not run on AC.

Also...a voltage meter reading at the battery reads 12.74 and the voltage meter inside the pup...at the same time reads...12.4.

Odd?

10. erich82

erich82 Active Member

Not at all. You could very well have a .34V drop by the time your voltage gets to wherever it is you're reading it from.
    As mentioned before regarding your fridge issue, test the actual AC plug that your fridge plugs into for power. If there is power, it could be the element itself. If no power, then your problem is before the outlet (fuses, wiring, inverter). Also, did you make sure the 12V power switch is off while running it in AC - you can't use 2 power sources at the same time.

11. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Is it a different voltage meter inside the pup?

12. p

p Active Member

Some answers...
    -yes..it is a different meter inside the pup. But that is a big difference.
    -yes, the 12v was off when trying to run the fridge on AC.

I will test the fridge outlet and try to identify a fuse that leads to the fridge.

All great ideas.

We camp this weekend at kikomum creek, bc. It is suppose to be 4 degrees Celsius at night. 4 nights. I am bringing 2 batteries and 80 w solar panel. Suppose to rain.

13. erich82

erich82 Active Member

It's not that big. It's a 3-4% V loss, which is acceptable, especially considering you're using a different meter. Wiring size and corrosion will also affect this, but I wouldn't be worried with a small loss like this. Voltage should always be checked at the battery posts anyway to determine battery levels.

14. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I agree but would like to add: In order to get a meaningful reading that will give an approximation of battery state of charge you would need to accurately measure within 0.1 Volts.
    General practice is that the meter should be capable of reading 10 times more accurate than the measured quantity. This would be a meter with a capability of 0.01 volts. ( 10 mV.).
    Most cheap (Harbor Freight type) meters can't do this.