AC Placement

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by sawdusty, Mar 14, 2018.

1. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Nov 9, 2014
    San Antonio
    I am finally going to start my new roof build next month and have begun drawing plans and getting the remainder of new parts which includes and AC. I need some help to determine the best placement of the AC. Bracing is not an issue since I am building from scratch, but thinking more about the placement that will insure good circulation. Any thoughts on this?

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I don't have A/C in mine, but if I did want to put in A/C , my main concern would be headroom clearance since I am 6' tall.

sawdusty likes this.
  3. cabranch47

cabranch47 Member

Nov 29, 2016
    One thing that I always wondered about is why do the manufacturers not raise the A/C mounting area up, even 1/2". This would eliminate potential leakage from just the foam gasket sealing to a surface as flat as the surrounding area. I think that if I built a roof for my PU I would make a frame around the opening, where the gasket seals and raise it up above the surrounding roof. Seems like it would be much harder for water to find it's way inside.

sawdusty likes this.
  4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    If I was building from scratch I would place the A/C in the dead center so it can blow evenly to both ends of the camper. I would also consider putting in an spot for a Fantastic fan or something similar near the kitchen.

I think they don't due to the weight of the outside unit. Also while towing it would be more likely to put stress on the roof if it wobbled any on the raised area.
    Some A/C units have a thinner inside unit. For instance, my current doutherm's inside unit is at least a half inch shorter then the Coleman I had in the previous camper. If head space is a worry, this is something that could be considered.

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    We have the Coleman Mach 8 low profile unit. On the ceiling the unit only comes down maybe 3 inches. It's also lighter than most units, only weighs 90 lbs.

It is located dead center of the roof. There is a A/C brace on both sides of it.

6. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Nov 9, 2014
    San Antonio
    I plan to make the roof with an arc so that dead center is higher than the ends. So do I place the AC dead center or offset to the street side?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  7. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I have seen them like that before. It would work.

8. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    The roof on my Jayco is slightly domed, maybe 1 or 1.5 inches. The AC is offset to the street side so it's not directly over the aisle of the camper. I agree with theseus about adding a place for a separate roof vent, powered or not.

sawdusty likes this.
  9. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Nov 9, 2014
    San Antonio
    Sorry, but I have edited my question to make it grammatically correct. Dead center or offset toward the street side?

10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I would think that having the AC offset would make the lift arms on the closer side work harder and possible lean over time.

11. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    I think you are right.. that's why you don't see many like that. But there are some with the A/C offcenter.

12. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I think weighing each side of the pup would be helpful. Than you could even out the weight with the placement of the AC. This will help keep it from wanting to sway.

sawdusty likes this.
  13. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    You have to wonder if a AC unit shifted over to the side would act like a rudder at interstate speeds and cause the trailer to tow diffently.

14. jnc

xxxapache I personally dont see that happening. If it was true than all the lids, vents, AC's and so on that is on every other camper out there would do the it.

sawdusty likes this.
  15. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    Yeah, but none of those lids and vents are as big as an AC.

16. jnc

I know I have seen many AC units not centered.

sawdusty likes this.
  17. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    I don't recall seeing one other than a pic in here a while back.

18. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    I'm a big fan of bilateral symmetry....if i were to mount one on our pup, I would put it dead center, & reinforce the roof accordingly.

sawdusty and xxxapache like this.