AC power cord getting hot

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by djohnsn, Jul 8, 2013.

1. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

I was a licensed electrician during college and still am an electrical engineer. Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss your issue.

JR

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I know its NEC but the NEC changes and sometimes different circumstances apply to RVs. I was referring to the manufacturer building it to code at the time. You are correct about addons, some people will do anything to get what they want. Still betting on bad outlet.

Tom

3. kpic

kpic New Member

True and campers and manufactured homes fall under different codes. When I moved from Md to Mi, the buyer's inspector commented to DW "your husband wired the radio room." When she asked how did he know the answer was it exceeded any code written.

I'd still pull it apart just to be sure. When you do it yourself, labor is cheap. [;)]

4. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

I've read through some of the posts... some good tips there... also, be sure the unit's coils are clean. I've seen window units with power cords that were in use for very long time with no problems heat up to the point they melt the plug/outlet. If the compressor has no way to loose the heat, it stays on and never has the chance to cycle.

5. djohnsn

djohnsn New Member

I have still not identified the problem (I am out of town and have not had much time to investigate). I did verify that the receptacle is 20 amp and the wiring leading up to it is 12 ga. I found a very loose connection that I repaired, but the problem persists. I did clean the ac unit itself. My next step will probably be to replace the receptacle.

I was surprised to discover that the receptacle is not in a box. It does not appear that it was designed to fit in a box. Do I need a special type of receptacle in this application?

6. COdreaming

COdreaming New Member

Just thinking out loud, could the compressor be getting ready to seize, causing the capacitor to draw more amperage than usual on startup? Air conditioning guys could maybe explain it better, just thinking outside the box... [?:~{]

7. Heritage

Heritage New Member

Agree. Make sure you have a heavy duty cord with clean connections.

8. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

I used a standard (side-screw mount) 20-Amp P&S brand. Mine already had a plastic box with a blank cover.
    (It would be a good idea to borrow an Amp-Probe to see if it's drawing the proper amperage.)

9. DAMN YANKEE

DAMN YANKEE New Member

your problem lies in one of 2 places either the outlet or the unit(no duh). now dont start laughing let me explain, check the outlet if it's the kind that the wire feed pushes in, change it. these outlets will arc as the elec jumps from end of wire to contact causing heat buildup. buy the kind that wire has to be ringed around screw.
    in ac unit check where electric wire connects for corrosion. units will develope this from condensation.please let us know what you find.

10. kpic

kpic New Member

Exactly and it is no laughing matter! When wrapped around a screw more of the wire contacts the outlet so there is less heat.

The way someone explained it to me, electricity is similar to a 4 lane highway with 3 lanes closed. When that happens traffic stacks up and people get warm under the collar. A electrical traffic jam warms up the wire. [;)]

11. jyoung015

jyoung015 New Member

the problem can be usally 2 things that the wire going to the recepticale is to small or you are not getting the correct voltage need at least 110 volts

12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Did you clean the bare wire end?