Ac problem

Discussion in 'Post your club forums here' started by cedarshake, May 29, 2016.

1. cedarshake

cedarshake New Member

Apr 3, 2016
    We purchased a 1994 coleman destiny cedar. The prior owner installed a small window unit ac in the lower right hand corner of the pup. At night or on cooler days it works super but in the heat of our florida days it gets extremely hot inside. Going with a roof mounted ac is not an option since the cost for the unit and install plus fixing the front body (that he cut out to accommodate the ac ) that would need to be replaced would cost more than what we paid for the pup to begin with. I was thinking of installing 2 max air exhaust fans in the lid to help suck out the heat and circulate the cold air from the ac unit. I was hoping some of you creative owners out there could share your thoughts. Thanks in advance. Hope you all are enjoying this beautiful Memorial day weekend.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

2. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

Apr 24, 2011
    Ocala,FL
    I think you have a great idea.. Mite be a little noisy [SNZ]

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I'm not sure that will help too much.

Are you already running Pop Up Gizmos to reject the heat on the bunkends? I'll bet that would help more than a fan.

4. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Streator, IL
    X2

5. cedarshake

cedarshake New Member

Apr 3, 2016
    I'm not sure what you mean by pop up gizmos...this is our first pop up so I'm still learning

6. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
  7. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Jun 29, 2010
    These look like a gimick but believe me they are not. I bought them because people here soar they liked them. I didn't think I noticed much of a difference until the second trip out. I pulled them off the camper early tearing down. Within 5 minutes the temp raised like 10 degrees with the ac on. They are insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

May 21, 2010
    Sutter Creek CA
    Employing g the use of a draw fan in hopes of increasing g the efficiency of an air conditioner is a hopeless endeavor. An air conditioner does not work by pulling air through the enclosure to the outside. What you will accomplish is drawing hot air from the outside inside and whatever cool air inside out. An air conditioner essentially recirculates inside air across an evaporator and removes heat from the enclosure and places it outdoors through a condenser. The process is repeated over and over by circulating a medium between the 2. Your problem is that your system is not large enough to have a cooling effect when the temperatures are high and it is overwhelmed. So using pugs (reflective material) on the bunk ends as well as closing off the bunk ends with curtains during the heat of the day is the best way to deal with it. Adding interior fans can help by creating a wind chill effect inside the pup (much like a large case refrigerator) and closing up breaches to the outdoors will work much better than evacuating whatever air is cooled by a roof fan.

Good luck with it.

9. CarribeanCamper

CarribeanCamper CarribeanCamper

Aug 20, 2015
    Change for newer A/C ???

Sent from my C6530N using Tapatalk

10. cedarshake

cedarshake New Member

Apr 3, 2016
    Thank you all for the suggestions. I will try everything with a bigger ac unit being the last option

11. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

May 15, 2013
    My popup came with factory AC on roof. It was an 8200 BTU unit on an 8' camper, but would not keep unit where you could stay in it during day, Replaced it with a 13,500 unit and now have no problem keeping it cool enough to stay in, however if I ever get another it will be 15000 BTU, Florida sun is horrible.

12. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

May 15, 2013
    I bought my AC form www.Adventurerv.net for less than 500.00 and installed it my self, was not complicated or hard, biggest problem was running larger wire to unit, but had no real problem, directions came with unit and I just followed them. Took couple of hours and only needed help to lift old unit off and new unit on. Each weighed about the same, app 100 pounds.