Accordian sink hose replacement

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by doggirl, Jul 17, 2017.

1. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

If I recall right when I took mine apart there was a paper thin gasket to where the top part of drain that connects to the inside of the sink. I used plumbers putty between the drain fitting and inside the sink, tighten the drain nut to the drain and it squeezed the plumbers putty out where the drain and sink come together no issues after that. hope you get it fixed.

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Here is what I am talking about.

3. doggirl

doggirl Member

I didn't replace that part, just the hose. Maybe that's my problem? And a problem it is at the other end by the trap. I called Oatey again and the guy today said the hose is large so I should also use teflon tape wrapped three times around the thread. Well I did that and it leaked, so I tried four wraps and a ton of Ruff stuff sealant but was too scared to try it, but left some newspaper in the cabinet under the trap. I just looked and the paper has some water on it already. I can't deal with this job anymore so I'm going to have to keep putting paper in there for the trip. We leave Saturday morning. I should have stuck with the original Pro Dope, although it's not for PVC. At least it worked.

4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sorry for your problems, I had to use the ratchet on the p-trap wrench to tighten the 2 hose clamps up due to the angles of the clamps, but no leaks. I am sure you will get it fixed. Have fun on your trip!

5. doggirl

doggirl Member

I got some advice yesterday advising that the Real Tuff is only lubricant for threads and that I should use Gorilla PVC glue. Believe it or not I ordered it from Amazon with two-day shipping before I went off on the Real Tuff tangent, but will bring it with us now that the camper is packed and folded in advance of the big storms expected today. My concern with the Gorilla glue is that it's considered permanent and I don't want to ruin the P trap fitting for a future hose replacement job. It's a much harder PVC. Maybe even CPVC although I have NO idea what that is or how to tell. Or maybe the hose will simply last longer than the original. Like forever.

Sorry to belabor this but I'm wondering if anyone has used the Gorilla PVC glue for this job and if you're happy with it.

Thanks JPBar. We're certain to have a great time on our annual trip to Cape Cod. Although it would be particularly handy if the campground had utility sinks on the bath houses!! LOLOLOLOL!!!

JPBar likes this.
  6. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

It was recommended by a fellow member to use the wax from a cheap toilet wax ring as a sealant for the drain hose connections. For me it filled the spiral in the hose and was water tight without have to over tighten the hose clamp.

7. doggirl

doggirl Member

I wish I had thought of the cheap toilet wax ring idea. The white sealant was leaking when we left for our trip but I had gotten advice to use the Gorilla PVC glue I had ordered, so I made yet another attempt at repair on our first day. It appears that the Gorilla glue held on the flex hose but a small drip started under the sink between two pieces of PVC that I must have jarred lose, so I used the white sealant with Gorilla tape as a quick fix. I didn't have the courage to even look at the lower connection until we got home, although the newspaper and paper towels I stuck in the cabinet appeared to indicate a small leak down there as well. I tried to locate the source of the leak on the end in the cabinet but found it impossible to pinpoint through that little hole. By then I was so discouraged, the bruising on my arm was mostly gone and we were expecting rain so we just packed the camper back into the garage.
    I have no idea how I'll ever locate where the leak originates on the end in that *&#&*(*e$&* cabinet.

8. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

Had to do the same at a campsite in June. Came back from the showers after washing dishes and the floor of the camper was covered in a thin layer of soapy water. Looked under the counter (we have a slot in ours because of the way our sink and stove lowers to allow for hoses to clear) and see the drain hose "unwound" and barely hanging from the bottom of the trap. Went into town and could not find that hose but found the same size clear thick flexible PVC and a couple hose clamps. Cut the original hose at the flat spot and patched the missing part from there to the bottom of the sink. It's been working fine ever since. I figured it was a drain hose so the water pressure is negligible. The connections do not have to be supply line tight.

9. doggirl

doggirl Member

And yours doesn't leak? Did you use any sort of PVC glue or sealant? I've done the same job with various sealants about 9 times now, no joke, and I'm still getting drippage. Maybe the accordian folds in the flex hose is too thick to seal. Our original flex hose was clear but I purchased the teal and white replacement hose.