ADA Compliant Pop-up - Marketable?

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Deskpilot, Oct 13, 2010.

Ask amongst friends - Would you consider purchasing a Wheelchair and ADA friendly 12' Pop-Up Camper

Poll closed Dec 12, 2010.
  1. Yes. Needs to accomodate YOUTH in WC + 2-3 familiy members

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes. Needs to accomodate YOUTH in WC + 3 or more family members

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Yes. I have a non-ADA vehicle I can use for towing and my family can make it work

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Yes, but I don't have a satifactory TV

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Yes, but price needs to be comparable

7 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. No, because my special needs are too much

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. No, I'll make my own mods

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  8. Yes, Needs to accomodate ADULT in WC + 2-3 family member.(ADDED)

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
  9. Yes, Needs to accomodate ADULT in WC + 3 or more family member.(ADDED)

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

Jul 6, 2010
    This 60 day poll is enabled for multiple votes per member because we have friends who have different needs.
    If you have a different answer for a different friend, you do not need to change your vote.
    Please feel free to add comments. Do I need more options?
    I sincerely appreciate your feedback. I've got something cooking in my brain.

If you've made a mod to meet your needs, would you be kind enough to share it and post pics?

2. dschlosser

dschlosser Active Member

Jan 29, 2008
    East Patchogue, NY
  3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Dave,

That is one I haven't seen before. Guess they didn't repeat it. Too bad.

Lou

4. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

Jul 6, 2010
    New options ADDED. I was STUPID enough to leave out ADULTS. Completely my oversight. Please forgive my ignorance.

5. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

Jul 6, 2010
    THX

6. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

Dec 13, 2007
    I have RA and a bum leg/knee, so I would want something that could accommodate either a wheeled walker with seat (skinnier than a wheel chair) or some other wheeled device. My 06 Niagara has the hardwalled bath/potty, and the toilet is on top of the holding tank - at an excellent height for bad knees/hips. However, it would be nice if the bath walls were strong enough for grab bars. I currently can navagate the aisle of my PUP by holding on to the various counters and framework when I'm weak or in severe pain. Getting up into the front bunk is sometimes a challenge, and I have only been up in the rear bunk once in 3 years as its too difficult. A ramp attachment for entry would be a good idea for those in wheeled devices, and the door might need widening or framework reinforced.

7. lawniz

lawniz New Member

Sep 1, 2008
    this comment is going to sound nasty, but it isnt meant to be this way. just wondering, maybe a hard shell would work out better, because, with physical problems, you still have to squat and level it out, pull out the bunks, install the supports, and crawl into the bunks for the shepards poles. wouldnt it be easier not to have a pup? again, not nasty, but i know how it sounds....

8. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Lawniz - I'm making a presumption (not ASSuming) that in addition to a mobility impaired camper, that there are other able body family members who can do the setup work, but that the overall unit has to be friendly for the wheelchair user.
    A PU is in a price and towability range of many more families and vehicles than a HTT/TT.
    That's why I'm looking for the feedback.

PattieAM - The feedback on counter edge strength is appreciated. I'm very aware of the seat height and wall strength needs as you discussed.

9. wolfcat1

wolfcat1 New Member

Feb 22, 2009
    I am not in a wheel chair, however I do have RA and stress fractures in both legs....My wife sets up 90 per cent of the pup, I do what I can do...It would be great if my pup was designed more to my needs...higher built in potty, hand rails. easier approach to the bunks etc..As desk suggested we have a pup and love it...not complaining...everyone has their on cross to bare in their on way..I am not in a position to buy a TT...wolfie

10. lawniz

lawniz New Member

Sep 1, 2008
    I hear you. I know personally of 2 acquaintances who face daily challenges who love camping, and do so with a tent! Now, that would be difficult as well.Like i said, not meaning to be nasty.Love everybody on here.

11. byron3069

byron3069 New Member

May 12, 2010
    Yes there is a ADA popup. I myself have one it is a 1992 Coleman Evergreen. It was made for 2 years. 1992-1993. It has a optional wheelchair ramp a oversized door, that a wheelchair can fit thru. The inside is also wheelchair accessible. For a while now I was trying to figure out why my door much larger than any PUP door I have ever seen. Called FTCA and they told my that my camper is a special edition camper. It has a 12ft box. If anyone would like to see pictures of it contact me. I don't use a wheelchair so anyone that has a camper and needs this I would be willing to trade them if they want it. check out this link..http://www.colemantrailers.com/uploads/318671234987150.pdf

12. PATMD

PATMD SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

Feb 16, 2009
    EDEN, NORTH CAROLINA
    THAT is so cool! on todays pups i wish they had automated stablizers in addition to a roof lift system.
    PATMD

13. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

Aug 2, 2009
    Hilton Head, SC
    Byron3069, that is a cool PUP. I also think it is awesome you are offering a trade for your ADA camper.

I am thankful this topic doesn't apply to us at the moment, but it would be nice if others had this option available by the manufacturers of PUPs. I have seen several wheelchair-bound adults while camping.

14. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Apr 4, 2011
    Jumping in a little late here, but I am also semi-disabled. I tried to look at the ADA PUPs, but none of the Coleman links work now. Didn't they go out of business?

The biggest problem I have with my 1997 Starcraft is the drop from the floor of the PUP to the single step, is nearly a 10" drop. With no brace bars on the outside, it's difficult to take that "first step" down! It's not so easy on the knees going back up either, but so far I'm making it. :)

Does any other manufacturer make ADA PUPs that you guys know of?

Pam [:D]

15. flakeyspam

flakeyspam New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    My grandson is 8 and in a wheel chair my ex daughter in laws father went through the jayco factory and was able to get a wider door by special order as well they worked with the company making the ramp to install all the hardware that would be needed with a slide he can get his powwer chair to the dinette slide and someone helps him into bed ,without the slide and a 12 ft box it would not have worked very well. jayco went our of their way to help make this possible so it might be worth a call to the manufactors to find out what they could do on special orders

16. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

Jul 6, 2010

They went TU, ixnayed, vamoose, imploded. nothing but a black hole in Somerset, PA

Put this in your Google Earth or other mapping programs 40.022607° -79.079249°

17. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

May 29, 2009
    Western Colorado
    This may be a good idea cooking along here. Some options to think about might be hooking up the bunkends to an automatic roof system so they come out as the roof is raised, bunkend supports that automatically go into place, reinforced roof for overhead grab bars, ramp or step options, bigger knobs/handles on the cabinets and automatic stabilizers. I'm sure others will have more input, but I like where this is going.
    MR

18. Jamcamp

Jamcamp New Member

May 1, 2011
    Hi, i'm late to respond too, but oh well. My hubby is disabled, walks with crutches, parap., it would be nice to have a much better set of steps for him to get in and out, and a wider door. we rigged up a place inside to hang his crutches so they are out of everyones way. he doesn't use them in the camper. he can lean on counters and stuff to move around. Never thought of an ADA compliant camper. We've tent camped for many years, but things are getting harder as we get older. so...

19. Deskpilot

Deskpilot Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Thanks to all for your replies. This idea of mine is not dead, just dormant right now. For what I have in mind and drafted in 3D, I've incorporated several of the discussed elements. Key consideration is being given to minimal supporting subsystems and moving parts and thus keeping weight down and multi-functionality up.
    With the overall state of the economy, I'm not quite sure that a mfr is up for a restart, although I have reached out to a few, without giving away the secrets of my design. Time will tell. If I can get forward progress, I'll be sure to let everyone know.