Add-A-Rooms: Love 'em or hate 'em?

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by GetOutSide, Mar 29, 2011.

I've been noticing bugs more this year than in the past, and am considering an Add-A-Room or screen

1. I have an Add-A-Room or Screen Room and use it - and love it!

38.5%
  2. I have an Add-A-Room or Screen Room, but rarely use it.

17.9%
  3. I have an Add-A-Room or Screen Room, and don't like it (reason posted below)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Don't have one -Not yet anyway.

35.9%
  5. I don't have one and wouldn't be caught dead with one. (reason posted below)

7.7%
  1. GetOutSide

GetOutSide Let's go get lost...

I've been noticing bugs more this year than in the past -or maybe they are noticing ME - and am considering an Add-A-Room or screen room. Do you have one? Do you use it? Love it? Does it keep the bugs out? Tell us what the pros and cons are. Also if you know of a good / best price place to get one. (Please post your opinions after the poll if I didn't cover it. )

Thanks for posting - I'll let you know what I decide.

2. Mongo71

Mongo71 Longwood FL

I have one for my short box Starcraft Venture. It is a P.I.T.A. to set up and break down, but effectively doubles the size of your protected area. I don't generally use it during trips less than a week long, unless it is raining. I got mine as part of the package deal when I bought the camper. I suppose if you can find a good deal on one and camp for extended periods, it would be worth it, but I don't believe I would ever spend the extra money to buy one separately. [2C] It is also good if you have children as you can set up cots under shelter. Hope this helps.

3. armyguy

armyguy US [USA]

IMHO looks as if it could be a PITA, never really wanted one, saw my FIL struggle with his on a Starcraft and he swore like a sailor putting it up/taking it down, and when it rained it was a soaking wet mess. But then again I use an EZ-UP with the screen panels for longer trips.

4. real lite virgin

real lite virgin Rob,Suzanne & Jessie - Black Lab

We use ours all the time unless just staying overnight. Took about 15 minutes to install or remove. 3 zippers and some ground stakes to install it.

Rob

5. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

We had one for our first pup. It was free [LOL] as part of a RV Show Special. When we moved up we didn't bother. I voted don't have one yet because I'm not that emotional about it one way or another. I doubt we'll ever get one. We started out with eight of us camping. Now it is usually 3-4. With the larger pup, we don't need the room as much.

Pros
    -Early in the spring and late in the fall it holds in some of the heat from the outdoor stove, making it a little warmer while cooking out there.
    -It forms a nice wind break.
    -It would help with bugs. I don't think we ever used it that way.
    -It doubles your effective living area during rain storms. [we had a rain storm last season, with high winds, that required us to take down even the awning so AAR would be no help then.
    -It was nice to sit out there for my morning quiet time when the rest of the family slept, at times when it would have otherwise been too cold to do so.

CONS
    -While not a true PITA it does take time and effort so I never used it for short [2-3 night] trips.
    -It is best to put it up as the roof goes up. As a result, rather than packing it under a sofa, it lived near the doorway and needed to be dealt with whether we used it or not.
    -I often tied up the bottom of the doorway to form an upside down V, because otherwise it was hard getting our food crates and other things in and out.
    -It has a straight zipper for the door [rather than D shaped like some tents]. This effectively reduced the height of the entry way [so I could get my fat head in].
    -The wall forms a hard boundary. Where it provides you with protection in foul weather, it keeps you from spreading out in fair.

6. turtle

turtle New Member

I love ours under certain circumstances.
    1) When we are camping for 3 days or more.
    2) If we take step sons dog it gives her a nice place to be outside unleashed.
    3) If the bugs are really bad.

7. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

not an add a room but a First Up 10x10 canopy with screens and wind walls. perfect for around the picnic table.

8. Full Circle

Full Circle Greely, Ontario, Canada

We use our AAR most of the time, short trip or not. Only takes about 15 minutes to set up. I usually just set up the screened portion and if the weather turns, i'll pull out one of the solid wall panels (they velcro on) to block the wind/rain. With our last pup, we had a screened dining tent. I would set it up but never use it, other than to store the chairs in at night, and the bugs would gather inside at the roof. It was quite a big footprint just for storage.

9. huizarr

huizarr Member

We have the add-a-room for our Starcraft. We have not used it as much as we would have liked. Some of the campsites we choose did not have enough room to set it up.

We do not have one for our Rockwood. As the box of our Rockwood is about 180% larger than our Starcraft we are probably not going to use one.

10. FC

FC Central Florida

Never had one but from what I hear from those that have here is why I will not have one. Too heavy,hard to store and a pain to put up.

11. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Love them during Black Fly season and when the mosquitoes are bad. Takes an extra 20 minutes to set up which you do it enough. Also is nice to add room when the weather is bad since it is pretty dry, except for the ground depending on where you are unless you trench it.

12. GetOutSide

GetOutSide Let's go get lost...

Hmmm. Hate the bugs, but also dislike the taking up space / extra set-up time... I do love sitting on the 'porch' and that would make it available in bug season. My jury's still out - we'll see how long I can stand getting bit.