Adding a 3 way Refrigerator to my Coleman PUP

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Vescoleman, May 16, 2018.

1. Vescoleman

Vescoleman Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Long Island, NY
    Hi guys,
    So i'm picking up a Norcold 3 way frige tomorrow from a guy parting out a 99 Fleetwood PUP. I have a 93 Coleman Destiny Royale which came with no refrigerator from the factory and want to install this unit into my PUP. I have a few questions for everyone here in regards to this installation.

The first question is about ventilation. Like most appliances, I would assume this unit will require me to cut some kind of vent into the side of my PUP...I don't know if this is true or not being I plan to only use the frige using electric both AC and DC, no propane. Do I need to put a vent?

The other question is about the functionality of the frige. Does the frige require the propane to be hooked up even when in AC or DC mode? Or will the frige work without any propane at all as long as it's hooked up to shore power, generator, or battery?

I know a lot of you will ask why I don't want to use propane, but i just like the idea of not using propane inside the PUP for safety reasons.

Thanks in advance for your replies and happy camping!

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I would believe that it will still need air flow to the Back of the fridge to help the fins cool. You will do well to add a fan back there.
    And No need for Propane if you dont want to use it. It is used most when there is no shore power because the battery will drain very quickly while running the fridge. Good Luck

3. Vescoleman

Vescoleman Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Long Island, NY
    Would you put one vent with a fan blowing out? Or 2 vents one high and one low with a fan blowing in?

4. jnc

I believe the fan blows on the fins. My fridge has a louvered panel that is pretty much open. I am on the other side of this project as I just removed my fridge. If your going to visit New England stop by and you can have the door.

5. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    You will need an access door for the lower vent because the controls are on the back of the fridge, not accessible from inside the pup. You will need an upper vent to allow airflow over the cooling fins. Get the parts off of the 99.

6. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    My 2008 Starcraft has two large vents on the outside for the fridge.

The top VENT is where the refrigerant is heated up either by 120VAC, 12VDC, or propane. When in use you can hold your hand here to feel for heat being generated telling you the fridge is working ok...

The bottom vent is where the control panel is located and a 120VAc Receptacle where the 120VAc fridge cable is plugged in...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

[​IMG]
    Google image

Can't find a google photo showing behind the top vent...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

7. Vescoleman

Vescoleman Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Long Island, NY
    Those vents look rather large, do you think because mine never had them cutting them in could pose a structural threat?

8. jnc

The only problem with the vents is remembering to cover them when in storage to keep the Vermin Out.

9. Vescoleman

Vescoleman Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Long Island, NY
    Good point

10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    You must have the 2 vents, the bottom is removable( this is where the controls are located and heating elements/propane burner is located, There is a condenser above these items. The top vent is for the heat from the condenser to escape.

11. Vescoleman

Vescoleman Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Long Island, NY
    I was thinking about putting switches in the camper in series with the others to eliminate the outside hatch and just install the one vent up high for the condenser heat.

12. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia

This is a close up of the control panel for my RM2193 small fridge...

[​IMG]

I also have propane connections with push to start here along with the 120VAC and 12VDC connections...

I really think not having an access door here would be a bad move for you... Easy to get behind your fridge with the panels...

Stranger things have happened haha....

Roy Ken

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  13. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    and just install the one vent up high for the condenser heat.[/QUOTE]
    You will loose a lot of cooling capacity with only one vent. You need the air flow over the condenser. The heat from the condenser rises and pulls cool air in through the lower vent.

14. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    I would follow the installation instructions, in particular with vent size and location and baffling needed. If you don't want a propane fridge, then I suggest you look at one of the AC/DC compressor fridges.

15. Vescoleman

Vescoleman Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Long Island, NY
    Well guys all this conversation for nothing, turns out the frige is to tall and won’t fit in my PUP. I tested it and atleast it works good, I guess I’ll sell it...do you guys know what it’s worth? It’s in good condition.

My next question is should i go with a cooler, mini frige, or iceless cooler? We have our first family trip with the PUP next weekend and I need to figure out how we are going to store our food.