Adding A/C to my 04 Fleetwood Redwood pup

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by eprovenzano, Apr 21, 2015.

1. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

I've decided to add an A/C to my 2004 Fleetwood Redwood pup... Yes it A/C ready with the supports installed from the factory, and the separate 20 amp circuit. After doing a lot of research, I looking for suggestions on different units. I'm looking at the Dometic Duo-Therm Brisk II 13,500 btu Air Conditioner through AdventureRV.net $525 delivered , and the Advent AC135 13500 BTU Non-Ducted Complete Unit from My 12volt store.com $520 delivered. Both of these units are for a complete unit, both top and bottom pieces and the gasket. I would need to supply the power cord.

I'll be doing the install myself. I need to cut the opening, (the 4 points are pre-marked in my ceiling) build a support feature to put into the opening to keep the roof from crushing when the A/C is bolted down. Run a suitable wire to the the outlet for power. I've done a lot of reading / research and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the purchase.

I just want to make sure the unit I get will be trouble free and will last. I welcome any and all comments / suggestions.

2. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

If I was putting a new/replacement A/C in, I would consider the Coleman Mach 8 which is a low profile unit.

Just something to consider. The one you chose is a great price and will work well also.

Vin.

3. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

My pup is a high-wall, so I'm already pulling a large block... that's not very aerodynamic... [:D] and it's too large to fit into my garage, I'm OK with a tall unit... With that being said I will consider the Coleman Mach 8 as I've heard nothing but good comments about them.

4. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

Procrastination works again.... I've been holding off ordering a new A/C unit... why??? I have no idea. I regularly check Craigslist looking for a new / used unit... well my procrastination has worked in my favor this time... I just agreed to purchase a new never mounted Non-ducted 15,000 BTU Dometic Duo Therm Heat Pump for $300. I need to purchase the interior piece and a gasket. The seller is also throwing in a 12 gauge wire so I can made the necessary electrical connections.

I checked a few places and the cost for a new one to my house is over $800... So for around $400 I'll be cool in the summer, and I'll also have heat in the spring and fall seasons... SCORE!!! [;)] [:D] :)

5. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Are you sure the HW would not fit into your garage without the A/C. Your HW should be 6' or under. You garage door should have a higher opening than that. I would guess about 80". The old A/C is is taller. I could not fit before either but I believe Rockwood went with the lower profile so that it would fit inside a normal residential garage. I never tried to get mine into my garage as I store it outside but I will be trying this year when I hook it up just to see if that is an option.

Moot point now as you got a great deal on the A/C. $300 is a steal. Nice find. :)

Enjoy.

Vin.

6. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

7. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

I like the fact that the instructions mention the A/C brace that seems to be so hard to find.

8. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

Thanks Mschepac I'll take all the data I can put my hands on. Even though I have the aluminum roof, a lot of the same principles still apply.

Vinmaker should it will fit without an issue, but I don't foresee it spending any time in the garage. It spends its life outside... I guess that's why I'm anal about its maintenance. I'll be redoing the caulking soon, not because its leaking, or because the caulking is loose... I'm going to redo the calking because the pup is now 11 years old. and the caulking is due to be replaced.

9. jwrober

jwrober Member

You will have it so cold in your pup that you can hang meat!

Enjoy.

10. F239141

F239141 New Member

I'd like to see pics of the install, and how it is done

11. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

That's the plan... [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [SNZ]

No promises but I will try to take pics and document the install. I have done a lot of research and other than the creepy feeling of having to cut a opening in the roof, I don't foresee an issue. My pup is wired for A/C, and it has the proper braces. I need to order the internal non-ducted part of the A/C and a gasket. I also plan to make something to support (something out of aluminium angle) to keep the roof from collapsing when the unit it tightened. One other "mod" if seen which I may copy, is to put pieces of hardwood (flooring) under the internal part of the A/C that's tied to both A/C roof braces. I know it's not necessary, but I think it could add stability tying both roof braces together.

12. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

just remember to drill the corners 1st & leave a good sized radius , not a good place to have a sharp corner , Good Luck

13. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

This is a post that got me thinking about tying the two braces together. I like the idea of the extra support with the two A/C roof braces tied together.

http://www.buyastrostuff.com/ftp/Rays/camper/camper-stuff/AC-Vent.htm

I got the idea of the internal bracing of the opening from grcooperjr
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=14865.0

These are just a few of the threads I've bookmarked to review / re-review....

One other item I will have to deal with... the center seam. After I cut the opening, I will also need to expose a small section of the center seam. Before I set the A/C unit, I need to make sure the gasket lies flat... hence a small section (the width of the gasket) will need to be removed.

14. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Sounds like you did your research. I have been looking at those same posts myself as I want to install a few roof braces to head off any potential sag issues. I am sold on the need to have a connector brace between the braces. Like the hardwood flooring one you referenced. I am thinking of using a piece of the same material that I span the roof with. 2"x 2" aluminum fence posts. Not sure if just one or if I will do two. At this point I am leaning to just one down the center as my A/C is not in the center but off-center. The center is always the place to brace up any roof.

Vin.

15. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

I need to order the internal piece of the A/C. I'll hold off until I have everything I need (plus help) before I make the hole in the roof for the A/C. I will try my best to document the progress.

16. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but if it has, I apologize.

17. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

smit1088 any and all information is welcome... thanks

18. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

Progress has been made... slow but progress nonetheless ... The interior piece has been ordered, along with a new gasket (I don't trust the new but never used on that's currenty on the A/C unit). Finding the correct interior piece was a bit of a pain, but after researching the Dometic Heat Pump I purchased, I found the correct one. I need to make the bracing for the 14 x 14 cutout, and I've secured the wood I'm planning to use on the inside to tie the two A/C braces together. I need to get into my pup to see if my 20 amp receptacle requires a special plug. Once I know that answer, I'll pick up the proper length cord, with the correct plug... I'll then start planning and documenting the install. If all goes as planned, the actual installation should only take a few hours... of course it will take longer... why??? just because it always does. [:D]

19. eprovenzano

eprovenzano Member

25' 12 gauge cord and plug purchased The interior piece along with a new gasket should be in before the weekend... I still need to get 4 16" sections of 1 x 1 aluminum angle that will keep my roof from getting crushed / squeezed when the A/C is tightened to the inner section.

I need to read, and reread the instructions... [RTM] My biggest issue / concern... is cutting the 14 x 14 hole in the roof... Once that's done there's no turning back...

20. 5MARC

5MARC New Member

I'm considering the same install, and am at about the same point of installation you are..... I'm considering cutting my roof like this photo shows, but still on the fence about this cut or the 14x14 entire opening.
    [​IMG]