Adding an A/C unit to my 1993 Coleman Pioneer

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Hunter30g, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Hunter30g

Hunter30g New Member

image.jpg i have rehabilitated my 1993 Pioneer and am now considering adding anA/C unit. From the inside of the pop up roof I can see 4 plastic fill plugs forming a square and from what I have read in to original sales information, they did offer an A/C unit at the time. I am looking at the Coleman Mach 3 for the roof top unit. Any help or information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. I am considering installing it myself but it would be helpful know if the is wiring already imbedded in the roof and what to expect before cutting into the roof. Thanks

2. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Well I have read that you want to drill out the 4 plugs and than cut the each layer separately. I don't believe there are any wires in the roof. The wires for my A/C are encased in a plastic strip glued to the ceiling. Good Luck sent us some pictures.

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

You don't need wiring in the roof on pop ups. The wire sticks out, runs across the ceiling and down the wall, then plugs into it's own outlet. Just need to add a 20 amp breaker and outlet in your pup for it.

4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

If putting it in, I would look into maybe a brace across the middle to prevent sag. Do not know if that year had issues, or if there was a brace, but something to think about!

5. Orchid

Here is what the cord looks like going across the ceiling. You can put it in a channel, or just use cable wire clips. Mine is all torn apart right now because I'm working on it. Normally it looks very neat.

20180707_173913.jpg

6. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

The OP doesn't say what Pioneer series camper they have. But I can't find a mention of a AC brace kit being a requirement for any of the models in the 93 brochure.

7. Orchid

Probably has studs inside the roof where those buttons are. I only have a brace because I have ABS. I doubt they used them for a wood roof, where they could build in support.

Just a guess, but I don't remember having a brace on any previous pup, and they had rooftop a/c units.

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Remove the 4 buttons and drill four small hole at each spot. You should get a 14 by 14 square. Be sure you have a 14 by 14 square on the roof incase you didn't hold the drill straight. Make adjustments as needed. After you get your square laid out, enlarge the holds to ⅜-½ inch. This will be the radius corners of your hole and will prevent cracking. Only enlarge one the top first then the bottom. Don't try to cut or drill all the way thru. Now connect the holes and cut only the outer surface. The cut only the ceiling. You can now use a hacksaw blade to cut out the middle using you inside and outside cuts as a guide. Use a new gasket from whomever made the A/C unit, no universal crap. Uses no sealant and tight the four bolts from the inside just enough to lightly compress the gasket.
    After a time, maybe a month just put a wrench on these bolts again, but again just enough to compress the gasket.
    RECAP the drilled radius are needed. Only cut one side at a time. Cut the middle out. Don't over compress the gasket.

Thats all I got for now. Not really a bad job to do.

Hunter30g and Orchid like this.
  9. Orchid

I watched a couple YouTube videos on how to do this, just because this thread got me thinking. I'm fairly sure I could do it myself, other than lifting the heavy unit onto the roof. It sounds very intimidating, but the worst part is cutting a scary hole in the roof.

It made me feel better to watch since one of my worst fears is our air conditioning breaking. [LOL] I guess that's a Florida thing. I just had ours all the way apart to rewire a new cord. The only step that I didn't do is take the unit off an on the roof. The insides are a piece of cake.

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Remember about the bolts ....just enough.

Orchid likes this.
  11. Hunter30g

Hunter30g New Member

Thanks for taking the time to respond and the info

12. Hunter30g

Hunter30g New Member

Chesepeake