Adding electronic brakes to a 1998 Coleman mesa camper

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Filip K, Apr 17, 2019 at 9:07 AM.

1. Filip K

Filip K New Member

Has anyone converted the 1998 Coleman mesa camper to electronic brakes? Past few trips in the Poconos I feel like our van is taking a heavy strain on the brakes and would like to add electronic brakes to the trailer before towing it again for safety. Just wondering if anyone successful converted their trailer successfuly. I am concerned that add a drum might push the tire out to far which would cause rubbing around the exterior body that the tire sits behind.

2. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

I'm having my mechanic look at adding brakes to my 99 Palomino. He says it might need a new axle, but he also said I have no suspension at all.

3. Filip K

Filip K New Member

My axle is attached to leaf springs but i am worried about that the hubs might push the wheels out to far and hit exterior skin of trailer. Etrailer has for like 400 bucks axle and brakes that you can slap on yourself but i dont have any time for more DIY

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The position of the wheel/rim is usually same with just hubs or drums. I installed 7 inch brakes on a trailer and it exactly the same.

5. Filip K

Filip K New Member

Is there a way to tell what size drums you need to install for example 7" vs 10" or is all that based on trailer weight?

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

12 inch wheels or less will use 7 inch brakes. 13 to 15 inch. will use 10 inch brakes. (3500lb. axle)

7. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

I added brakes to my small Dutchmen. First thing to check is if your axle has the backing plates to mount the brakes. If it does adding the brakes is an easy job that can done with basic hand tools. If it doesn’t, you’ll have to either have a trailer shop weld plates on or replace the axle with one that has them.