Additions to the First Aid Kit

Discussion in 'Road Safety Systems' started by Zephyr, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Zephyr

Zephyr Member

Jun 18, 2013
    central Oregon
    When a 6 yr old at our solar eclipse campout (boondocking with 24 people) got a large gash in the back of his head, we discovered that our combined first aid kits didn't have enough of what we needed. We had plenty of big gauze pads, but our rolls of gauze bandage were too short and tape wasn't an option unless we shaved some hair. So we improvised....plenty of Scouts in this group. The kid looked like that Revolutionary War character with the fife and drum when we got through with him.

Once we got home, I added to our kit:
    more gloves...we had several people working on him and his bloody clothes
    first aid wrap...self sticking, so no tape needed
    small squeeze bottle to wash debris out of the wound
    and
    for a different type of emergency, low dose aspirin.... for chewing in case of suspected heart attack

What have you added to your first aid kit?

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Added? I always travel with a standard kit with a few packages of Quick Clot, needle and thread.

3. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Too much to list it all, but high quality gloves, a CPR kit, Quick Clot for deep gashes, Super Glue for smaller ones, lots of bandages, space blanket, large pieces of fabric for making a sling or splint, a Sam splint, and so much more.

Most of all, get Red Cross CPR/first aid training and certification. I take the training every two years as a requirement of my National Park volunteer work.

I carry a personal kit in each vehicle, at home, and in the trailer. At the park I carry a larger kit belonging to the park.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    To my kit/ car I always add a few more things: 2 ace bandages, a knee brace (2) an ankle brace. I also added more Band-Aids, a snake bite kit and tick key. Kind of in the same kit, a solar blanket, waterproof matches and dry tinder. Then again a lot if my trips I'm out hiking so I try to think if things I would need if out on the trail.

5. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    I spent 20 plus years active with the Rocky Mountain Rescue Group, and helped teach Wildland First Responder classes for Colorado Division of Wildlife (now Parks and Wildlife) new hires. Good advice above. Found we used smallest size disposable diapers as large absorbent dressings, and lots of good ol' duct tape. Packaged FA materials in freezer weight ZipLoc (tm) bags, and dated the bags. Be sure to replace adhesive tapes annually- they dry out.

One thing I will always include stowed behind the rear seat in my vehicle is a couple of corrugated cardboard boxes opened up and flattened out. With this material, a pocket knife, padding (diapers, clothing) and duct tape you can fabricate a field expedient cervical collar, and splints for most any extremity.

One thing to be careful of is moving people with injuries to legs and spine. You may think it will be easy to help someone down a trail, but it really isn't, and carries a double risk- risk of making an injury worse, and risk of injury to the helper(s). Sometimes it is best to make the injured party comfortable, protect from shock and weather changes, and send for trained help.

IMPORTANT NOTE: information is a critical search and rescue resource! Contact law enforcement, then be available to them. Don't disappear! You need to tell the responders about the injured party and their precise location. A message that your buddy has a broken ankle by Lost Lake is nice- except for the fact there are three Lost Lakes in Boulder County.........

kitphantom likes this.
  6. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    If we are going to list items outside of the first aid kit, I also carry a PLB (personal locator beacon -ACR to be exact) with me where ever I go. And I highly recommend it for the single person who hikes and even camps in the middle of nowhere. Places where cell phone service is as likely to work as finding a four star restaurant.:D Those are the places I go, both by foot and by vehicle. A PLB is for a TRUE emergency ONLY, but can also be used if you come across someone who is in dire need of serious medical help.

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    I have considered taking DH's InReach on my solo camping trips. While he has not used it for emergencies, thankfully, the texting capability is handy. That was one reason we changed to this one, plus advancement of technology since his previous unit. Now he lets me know when he's reached camp while backpacking, has used it to let me know change of plans, etc. The only down side for it is that, if I'm not at home, I have to have cell service to receive the texts or go in search of cell coverage or WiFi.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  8. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy New Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Bourbon

9. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    We have a decent size 1st aid kit with plenty of supplies and band aids. The one thing we always have is Burn Gel (it's like Water-Gel )When you get a burn you need to stop the burning quickly!

Popiworks likes this.