Adhesive for vinyl/plastic to plywood?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by mprowland, Apr 20, 2017.

1. mprowland

mprowland New Member

Apr 17, 2017
    I currently have a 2009 Palomino Yearling with a rotten (roof)end and side board. I'm replacing the rotten OSB with plywood. I'm going to use the existing covering which is a thin vinyl or plastic type material. The existing glue seems to work great as it's very hard to scrape all of the rotten OSB off of it. I just have no idea what they used. What type of adhesive or glue would be best for mating these two surfaces together? Thanks for any input...Mark

2. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    It may be contact cement such as the stuff they use to stick laminate to plywood to make countertops. I'm not entirely sure, but it should work.

3. mprowland

mprowland New Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Ahhhh, makes perfect sense. I'll probably go with this unless I hear otherwise. Thanks for responding!

4. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    3M 4200 if you ever want to separate the two pieces again. 3M 5200 if you want to make the repair permanent.

spygirl likes this.
  5. mprowland

mprowland New Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Wow that's expensive! I imagine I'll need at least a few tubes if I'm going to do half the perimeter of a 12' box. Thanks!

6. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Aug 28, 2012
    SW Montana
    I use it exclusively on my boat to make permanent repairs while installing new fishing and electronic equipment. Last thing I need is a leak in my boat.

7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Yes, a friend of mine who is a cabinet maker, he uses 3M to spray under laminated piece and also on plywood. When both are dry to touch, attach the laminate piece on the plywood quickly... you may not have 2nd chance to adjust the piece. do it right at first application.