Adirondacks? Where did you stay?

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Timothy Adams, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Timothy Adams

Timothy Adams New Member

Jul 20, 2017
    I'm 3 hours south of the 'daks and hopefully will be a pup owner soon. We go there often to hike the high peaks. Where have you stayed in that area? Thx

2. upstate family

upstate family Member

Jul 20, 2016
    Central New York
    Most of the parks are DEC campgrounds. That means no hook ups. However, that also means it is cheap. My family loves Harris Lake. Not super big but can get a beautiful site right on the water.

3. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Boston
    Hi Tim
    We are going to be staying at Moose Hillock, a bit pricey, but the kids chose this trip. I did a review in the CG section from last year.
    Do you have a recommendation for a good resource for hiking and exploring the adirondacks?? we did the lake george stuff last year and want to get off the beaten path a bit.

4. Timothy Adams

Timothy Adams New Member

Jul 20, 2017
    Not sure of your families hiking abilities, as most of the 46 high peaks are very challenging, but a good start could be Mt. Jo from the Adirondack Loj, which puts you in a very beautiful location for not a lot of work, and there will be more people in that area more knowledgeable then I to ask for recommendations for family friendly hikes nearby. You could try Mt VanHovenburg too for the Olympic activities happening there. More challenging than that, I can recommend Ampersand, and St Regis for excellent views.

5. 3hooligans

3hooligans Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Boston
    Thank you

6. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Webster, NY
    We have never taken the pup up as we stay at the in-laws' cabin or I go back-packing, but friends of ours typically stay at Old Forge and Cranberry Lake state CG.

7. dlaudens

dlaudens Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    Last year we stayed at Lake Durant just south of Long Lake. No hookups, but the site was awesome. Private and right on the lake.

IMG_1902sm.jpg IMG_1947sm.jpg

8. Ryan Kimble

Ryan Kimble New Member

Jun 1, 2017
    I've stayed at Harris Lake as a tent camper, beautiful site with spots right on the water. I don't think they have hook ups. Best sport for entering the High Peaks from the South (Santanoni's, Flowed Lands,Marcy, etc.)

Fish Creek is great, but can get crowded, book early for the prime spots, again I don't think they have hook ups.
    Rollins Pond is great too, much more primitive than Fish Creek and the sites are farther apart.
    Both FC and RP will be at least an hour to the main trail heads, but it will be great for the Sewards or Ampersand (a Saranac 6'er)

Drapers Acres is just down the road from the LOJ road and is by far the most convenient for getting to the high peaks from the North (Heart Lake, Avalanche Pass, Algonquin)
    I haven't stayed here since it changed hands, but it was ok back under it's old ownership, I hear it's much better now.

I have a site booked at the end of the month at North Pole Campground (Private) in Wilmington. I've been up there a bunch but never stayed. They have two sections a "Resort side" and a more primate side. I'll let you know how it is at the end of the month if your still searching by them.

9. Adirondack PUP

Adirondack PUP Member

May 8, 2015
    Upstate New York
    The High Peaks won't have as many NY State run options as other areas of the Adirondacks but here are some thoughts.

Paradox Lake DEC campground. Site 49 is my favorite. Great fishing, somewhat close to the ADK high peaks / Keene area. Also has the Pharaoh Lake area just nearby. One of the best trail systems in the ADKs in my opinion.

Was just at Cranberry lake DEC campground last week. We did the Cranberry Lake 50 mile loop trail and stayed here one night. They have a new campground supervisor who is doing a great job in returning the campground to a family atmosphere that many people appreciate. You'll find some New York State campgrounds are more party oriented than others.

Harris Lake is a great campground with a new bath house. Good fishing and paddle options. Long Lake is a short drive away which is a great Adirondack tourist town. Great fire tower hike just down the road from the campground.

Lewey Lake is also a good. Snowy Mountain hike is awesome.

Lake Eaton is another gem, just north of Long Lake.

10. Timothy Adams

Timothy Adams New Member

Jul 20, 2017
    I was up there again recently and discovered Cascade Acres in Lake Placid. It's a nice mobile home community but it has a large open grass field for tents and RV's with hookups (electric and water, not sure about sewer). Each spot has a picnic table, no open fires though. It's not very private or primitive, but works for some people like me who would be hiking all day nearby and back at camp later for a shower and rest. There's a swimming pool and bath house w/ showers included in the deal. I believe it was $40 or $45/night for RV's. It's also about a 15 minute walk to Big Slide Brewery....an added bonus.

11. Kettlebelle

Kettlebelle Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Another vote for Lake Harris! Most sites there are excellent, and we love the Newcomb area - but my family doesn't do many high peaks yet, we are mostly firetower hikers. We also loved Lake Eaton, Durant, Golden Beach, Lewey... We went to Scaroon Manor because we have lots of family who have camps on Schroon Lake, and Scaroon has OK sites but the BEST bathrooms and dishwashing facilities... barely anyone uses them because most people who camp there have giant RVs. Eagle Point, just down the road from Scaroon Manor, is also just OK; there are some great sites, but most are poor, in my opinion. I am kinda antisocial and enjoy quiet and privacy.