Adjustable ball mounts: worth it?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Dingit, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    After fiddling around a lot trying to get close to a level tow with my "new" popup which will probably be off once I actually add gear, I'm wondering it it is worth the extra expense to get a draw bar with an adjustable height to account for changes in TV height due to loading, etc.

They are kind of expensive (at eTrailer they start around $180 for my TV), but it would be nice to be able to change the height a small amount without adding to the ball mount collection.

Anyone like these or have recommendations?

Thanks!

2. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Once you dial in your typical way of loading and traveling, no further adjustment is needed. Save your money.

jnc, nineoaks2004 and 79venture like this.
  3. soft 17

soft 17 Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    San Luis Obispo
    If loading up your camper dramatically changes the TV sag then I would add air bags to the TV.

4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Advance Auto has them for half

5. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I just checked Advance Auto and I didn't find the size I'd want in an adjustable, but I appreciate the referral.

Hooking up the camper doesn't change the height of the TV noticeably. It has a pretty stiff suspension. But that plus anything loaded into the truck might lower it some. I dunno. I should have swapped drawbars just to get the popup into my driveway...[LOL]

6. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    No its not work buying an adjustable Draw bar. If your not dialed in. T,ake a measurement when loaded and hooked up, from ground to top of ball. Take a measurement when the truck is loaded but no trailer. Take your measurement of the trailer sitting level on level ground to top of coupler.. Do the math figure what drop or rise you need, error on the trailer nose being level or down up to 1.5 inches lower than level. Look up on curt manufacturing or reese for which draw bar works best. Search online and order online, or I have always found on amazon for $30 or less.

7. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    I know that's the standard procedure. I am wondering if it matters if you don't always pack the same. I pack differently depending on where I'm going and for how long. Does an inch or two off perfect matter?

8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    As long as its a little low in the front, you are good to go.

9. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    As long as the tongue is not high you're ok. If you're level on an unloaded truck and less than 1.5" low when the bed is loaded. I too pack differently for almost every trip, depending on where we're going, how long we'll be out, whether it's a single campsite or multiple. But the hitch height doesn't vary enough to make much difference.

10. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Thanks guys!

11. CGChief

CGChief New Member

May 19, 2007
    Virginia
    I have an adjustable that I love. It has allowed me to tow 4 different trailers without having to change the drawbar, just a quick adjustment with a ratchet and I'm ready to roll.

12. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    I use an adjustable one with a quick change ball. It allows me to tow different trailers with minimal work and I don't have to have different draw bars for every trailer. I use one of these, it's inexpensive and as long as you don't tow anything heavy it does the job.

13. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I have three trailers with three different ball sizes and three tow vehicles with three different hitch heights.....My stack of ball mounts is impressive....lol.

14. Dingit

Dingit Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Any model recommendations for a 2.5 adjustable receiver? I think I have something that will work but if I do have to buy yet another &%$* ball mount it's gonna be the last one.

15. CGChief

CGChief New Member

May 19, 2007
    Virginia
    I cannot find anybody that sells the one I have. I think they might have stopped making it.