Advice for planning a trip to Grand Tetons NP

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by keldebek49, Apr 29, 2019.

1. keldebek49

keldebek49 New Member

Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it. I assume the bear boxes are to store your food in? Did you find them necessary, even if you are careful?

2. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Food must be stored in the box, your vehicle or your hard side camper unless your eating or cooking. The boxes are just an option.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  3. Starry_Eyed_Camper

Starry_Eyed_Camper New Member

Grand Teton and Yellowstone are both clean camp parks. The rangers will enforce the rules (apparently with fines if necessary).
    Our TV is enclosed so we kept food and kitchen and toiletries (anything with any smell) in there. It’s as much for the animals’ safety as for people.
    That being said, the bear boxes are convenient for holding things, especially if you don’t have room in your TV for everything.

4. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

You want to use the bear boxes for food. If you have a grill, put it in there too.

When we were at the Tetons I left a half-full bag of Oreos on the picnic table. There are these big black birds there (magpies?) that really enjoyed them.

Then last summer in Colorado, I had everything in the bear box except about a third of a 20-pound bag of dogfood that I had forgotten all about. We had a black bear visit during the night. He managed to do about $1,500 worth of damage to my truck in the process of getting that dogfood.