Afraid to roll out the awning

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Lanternman, Jul 11, 2018 at 7:03 AM.

1. Lanternman

Lanternman Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Mooresville NC
    Well seasoned camper, but after 1.5 years with my own pups, Ive never rolled an awning out. [LOL]Just how bad of a job is it to set up, and even more, how bad is it to roll it all up and jam back in that zip up bag hanging on the side?
    We normally just throw an EZ up in the truck and use that.
    How about you all?

2. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2007
    Perry, MI
    I have a 12' box popup so an 11' awning. Yes rolling it up can be a challenge and a good forearm workout. But I do unroll and roll the awning by myself. What I found that helps with rolling up is to run the zipper down an inch or so (YMMV) then when I slip the end in the zippered part it's like having an extra hand to help hold the awning while you finish zipping it closed. Yes you do have to move along and hold the open end, but it is doable.
    When I unroll/setup I raise the roof a couple of feet then unzip and unroll the awning, extend the legs from the headrail then attach the center rafter pole. That provides enough support for the awning I can crank the roof high enough to comfortably install the other rafter poles, you may need to adjust the leg height during this operation, finish cranking the roof up and set the angles and height of the awning. In all putting the awning up adds maybe 5 minutes to set up and not much more when breaking camp. All that being said, if we are only out for a weekend and exploring the area away from the campground (breweries, greenhouses, gardens, lighthouses etc.) we may not put the awning out at all.
    Good luck!
    (when I'm by myself I think it's easier to use the awning than an EZ up. Not so much running around an pulling poles and edges)

Natureangel likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I also think it really depends on what kind of awning you have and how many pieces it uses. Apparently some were easier designed than others. My old Jayco it was fairly easy as all the parts were as one unit, but I did need help holding the legs in place as they flopped around too easily. In an event of a bad wind storm I would have needed the help to roll it back up to put in the bag as well. Because I camped alone a lot, I never bothered using it much. In my NTM popup it never had an awning when I got it because according to the prior owner it disintegrated. I just created a makeshift awning out of a tarp and tarp poles. I actually use this all the time myself. In a bad wind storm, I can just take the poles out and allow the tarp to lay against the camper and flap in the wind. I would be afraid to do that with a real awning. Before I made my awning I used the EZ up but it was just so cumbersome to put up as a single camper and because I couldn't put it really against the camper i had to worry about when I cook outside how to keep the food from getting too wet.

4. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Active Member

Sep 25, 2016
    It’s just an awning. Takes five minutes to set up, five min to put away.

bols2Dawall likes this.
  5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Raise the roof to just above head height and unzip the bag and set up the awning.. continue to raise the roof and once fully raised do a final tweaking to the awning..

myride and bols2Dawall like this.
  6. Lanternman

Lanternman Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Mooresville NC
    Thanks! Think ill attempt it on our next trip out.

7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I really helps if you have a helping hand, but I have deployed/stowed it by myself.

It is possible to stow it while the pup roof is up, but it helps to have a good sturdy cooler to stand on while you roll it up and zip it into the bag.

And yes, as friartuck said, it is a really good forearm workout.

8. J Starsky

J Starsky Active Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    Don't be afraid of your FREEDOM!!! Get it out of the bag before you mast up the roof, and work with it after you get all set up. I stake mine out with two lines on each side, one in the center. Holds north shore storms winds like no bother! This is my original awning for my 1984 starcraft. It is well used and is awesome to have day or night, rain or shine.

DSC00692.JPG

gatorbait and BikeNFish like this.