Aftermarket TPMS for Trailer?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by BelchFire, Mar 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    Has anyone every invested in or used an aftermarket tire pressure monitoring system for your p'up? I'm looking at tires and wondered if I could make the leap and add a TPMS to the trailer with a cigarette lighter powered module that's separate from my pickup's TPMS; maybe even a bluetooth setup that talks to my phone. Have you done this? What setup did you end up using? Do you like it?

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    I've had them on my trailer when I switched to non-ST tires.
    I first started with a system from TireMinder; however, that system made it from Moab to just inside the MT border and it started to go nuts. Tried pulling batteries to reset, then reprogram from start and it continued to go nuts and kept telling me I had low tires, which I didn't. So I got bit upset and threw the entire system into a garbage can at the rest area; that is after I smashed the display.
    Did some more research and went with Truck System Technologies 507 series. And it has been flawless for five years. I got the system with four sensors and a black/white display, so I have all three tires with sensors. They also offer flow-through sensors that allow you to add air without removing the sensor. For my wheels, they did not work and they exchanged them with no problem or costs. They also offer a color display now, but not sure if it would be worth the added price.

And I just installed new batteries in the sensors and the display immediately displayed the pressure in my tires.
    [​IMG]

https://tsttruck.com/collections/ki...cap-sensor-tpms-system-with-grayscale-display

They give you an added piece of mind when traveling along at 80 mph. They allow you to keep tabs on the tire pressure and temps (as measured on the air inside the tire at the sensor). However, if you have an instant blowout it won't do you much good other than to sound an alarm to something you probably already know.

BelchFire likes this.
  3. BelchFire

BelchFire I speak fluent vise-grip

Mar 29, 2012
    SE Georgia
    Hey, that's a cool system; I haven't seen that one yet. :) Is there any reason you went with the cap style sensors as opposed to the flow-thru type? I would prefer the neat, compact installation that the flow-thru sensor gives if I can coordinate the installation with new tires. Otherwise, I understand why you went with the cap style. BTW, it's $249 at Amazon.

Was your TireMinder the bluetooth cap style? There are several brands/options, and they're all pretty cheap ($50-$75 on Amazon), but most have sorry reviews.