Algonquin May long weekend with photos

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Tulip, May 20, 2019.

1. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

Had a nice but cool and damp weekend in Algonquin at Lake of Two Rivers.
    Due to family obligations we didn't get to the site until mid afternoon on Saturday. Set up was fairly quick so the kids had time to go exploring before dinner and we biked for a short ride after dinner before our fire.

The weather in Sunday was looking mixed so we hiked the Lookout Trail with is about a 2.5 km loop almost straight up to a cliff lookout. The view was awesome. It would be spectacular in the fall or even in a week or two when the trees leaf out a bit. (Algonquin was behind Ottawa and Huntsville in terms of greening up. There was still snow in spots around the campground.) It rained but then the sun came out on our hike. Back at the campground my son and I decided to go kayaking on the lake and spent a bit of time paddling up the Madawaska (spelling?) and out around the islands but cut the kayak short after about an hour due to the approaching storm. He did however go for the first swim of the year (teenage boys!)
    The rest of the family biked to the camp store for ice and treats.
    We had enough time to cook and eat dinner outside and get cleaned up before the rain came and retreated to the PUP for cards until bed.
    Up this morning for a leisure breakfast and then packed up and off to visit friends on our way home.
    Site review : Very large unserviced site, close to both vault toilets and a comfort centre but there were no showers in the comfort centre by us. There were some at another one on the campground. Everything was clean except the floors which got muddy quickly due to the rain.
    The site was pretty open but will feel more private when the shrubs leaf out in a couple of weeks.
    Easy bike to the beach and the longer rail trail which we wanted to do but didn't.
    Had the expected noisy neighbours and barking dogs on the long weekend but we had a really nice time. I always love when we get the kids away from phones and out doing stuff. IMG_20190519_213436_395.jpg IMG_20190519_213436_385.jpg IMG_20190519_213436_395.jpg IMG_20190519_213436_385.jpg 20190519_160525_HDR~2.jpg 20190519_160525_HDR~2.jpg IMG_20190519_213436_395.jpg IMG_20190519_213436_385.jpg 20190519_160525_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Look like y'all had a great adventure and made a bunch of memories, the view is spectacular thanks for sharing the pictures they are really good.

HappyTraveler and Tulip like this.
  3. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

Thanks. We did have a great time. Not sure what I did with the photos to get them to double post or how to fix them. Oops. Sorry!

HappyTraveler likes this.
  4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We were about an hour and a half North of you and had rain Saturday evening and from Sunday afternoon until yesterday afternoon. ..
    Never been to LoTR. It is one the campgrounds I do want to do one year..
    Glad you had fun..

5. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Looks like a fun time indeed...gonna be in the 90s here for the next several days w/ no rain in sight & the vegetation is green/thick/heavy, think I'd prefer your weather lol...

6. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

I was reading through your adventures. Sounds like you had fun as well - even if it was wet.
    We had to go pick up one of our dogs after we got home last night and DH was telling our friends he actually was dreading going but ended up having a lot of fun. For us, right now, it's all about creating that family time with the kids. It's too easy to lose them to their bedrooms and screens if we are home. Cramming all of us in a tiny space in the rain means that we have to engage with each other - and usually that leads to giggles. It's beautiful today though - it would have been nice to have one day of sunshine.

7. penny

penny Well-Known Member

sounds like a real treasure of a weekend!