Aliner: interested but...

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by RuralGuy, Jun 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. RuralGuy

RuralGuy New Member

That's inspiring. I've volunteered with hospice and with people going through big life challenges. But as I'm not a handy guy, I do things like sit with people who are ill, drive them to medical appointments, give guidance to family about next steps. One of my friends almost died from West Nile virus recently--just one little mosquito bite--and I've been doing a lot with him. Well, I'm way off the Aliner subject...so bye for now.

2. GypsyH

GypsyH New Member

Think you have to be clear on what it is your buying. The Scout(2018) like ours, is marketed to tent campers who are too senior to tent camp lol. My suggestion is to use the KISS approach. No sink, no fridge, no water. We use two collapsible sinks , a Colman style two burner stove and a Dometic 65gt reefer/freezer (12v/110v) that we run off our car battery, solar or 110 if we have services. The 2018 frames were beefed up according to the factory. We stay away from off road but will use dirt access roads for boon- docking but go slow driving on them. I would add front stab Jack's . WrkerB has notated some weak points. I agree that they are stupid and easy to remedy in manufacturing but fact is these are side lines for dealers. Salesman don't like dealing with them. Pretty much the Aframe is a box with hinged sides and tops, pretty simple. We have had the fan leak, bubble leak and sealed both. Our window a/c (LG 5000btu) works so well I'm ordering another as a spare, $150. These are not, I repeat, NOT RVs in the traditional sense. They really are very comfy hard sided tents. My wife and I love ours, warts and all. I will say this to Aliner....curtains that don't fit? Seriously what were you thinking? Such a stupid QC screw up.

3. RuralGuy

RuralGuy New Member

I go back and forth between the Aliner, and the Ascape. Both can be towed by my vehicle. My wife and I used to backpack, she now is somewhat disabled so I'm thinking the more luxury experience might help her to want to get out. I didn't know that the 2018 frame was beefed up, that's good to hear. I appreciate the idea of KISS--what the factory doesn't install can't be screwed up. I searched for that Dometic you mentioned--is that the one that's around $1K?

4. GypsyH

GypsyH New Member

IMG_20190605_062256342-800x600-400x300.jpg I think our Dometic was around $900 with the insulation cover ( a must have). The Alscape is an entirely different animal. Personally, because of Aliners lack of attention to details, curtains is an indicator, I'd look a the TAGs or Nuways. We paid $10,500 for our Scout, at that price I'm fine with the build and have used it extensively and it's held up. We turned the rear sofa area into a permanent memory foam bed. The side mount A/C works great, even in Moabs late June early July heat. I have considered a low profile thetford toilet under the settee opposite the entrance door but have not ordered the unit yet. I'm late 60's with some issues that make me less than fully abled and I find the Aliner roomy and comfy. It is a good unit considering the price point. We are an hour west of Nags Head as I write this ready to do 10 days on the OBX and Ocracoke Island :)

Pommom70, RuralGuy and Rik Peery like this.
  5. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Curious as to how your Crosstrek tows, bought the wife a new one last year, but w/ it being so "hilly" here, never considered using it to pull...I pull our Ranger10 w/ a 1998 or 2010 Tacoma, but we have a Sylvansport Go camper (840 lbs) that will top out at around 1300 lbs maybe w/ gear...enjoy the trip south, lived in KDH back in the early 70s when it was a ghost town, & the 'Coke was a quaint fishing village; don't spend too much time at Howards lol...

6. GypsyH

GypsyH New Member

I'm really happy with our Xtrek. I mentioned on another post we just did a major service at the dealer and the tranny (85k miles) and brakes were Ok. The rears we're good, I had them do the fronts. Paddle shifters are the sole reason. CVTs go out because they constantly adjust to conditions. With the "virtual" gearing using the synth shifters we pick the ratio between 1st and 6th, although I never use 6th...I'm thinking 3-3500 rpm is the perfect range. Just for info. The Xtrek in Australia ( same vehicle) is rated over 3000# tow capacity. We keep our right around 1500#

RuralGuy and Rik Peery like this.
  7. Rik Peery

Thanks for the sit rep, wife doesn't have the paddles, she got the base model, mainly to go back/forth to her office...enjoy the trip & PLEASE post some pics, been several years since I've been down that way...if y'all fish, south point used to be good around the inlet on incoming/outgoing tides...

8. RuralGuy

RuralGuy New Member

I’ll have to figure out the paddles on my Outback. Thanks for the tip re rpm range.

9. RuralGuy

RuralGuy New Member

Sounds like a great trip you’re about to start! I think you’re given a balanced view of the Scout: good for the price, poor QC. I looked at the TAGs/NuWays and although they looked nice, seemed small for me and I noted some really obvious QC lapses (including dangling trim under a cabinet and uncaulked seam in the shower). I can only guess at what’s been missed in the areas that can’t be seen so easily. I’m just having to adjust my expectations. I like your strategy of getting minimal amenities on a low-end Aliner and installing what you want, like the Dometic. That’s what I’d probably do if it were just me. With wife, a more glampy experience in an Ascape might be the way to go. I’m going to Denver tomorrow to one of the big dealers to do an apples/oranges comparison on the Aliner and Ascape.

Rik Peery likes this.
  10. Rik Peery

Had to go almost 3 hrs to get our Ranger10; in a redo situation, may have gone w/ the Ascape also, at least would have done a 12 footer if sticking w/ the Aliner, a 10' box is a tad tight, but I spend very little time in it, so no probs...looking forward to your findings

11. GypsyH

GypsyH New Member

I thin
    The Subbie tows great. About 30k on the towing, never had a warning light. Use the paddle shifters only (M) when towing. Definitely have Elec brakes on Scout. We have been over the Rockies and back 2x. West VA , Blue Ridge and upper PA/NY...no sweat. :)

Rik Peery likes this.
  12. GypsyH

GypsyH New Member

We keep the Dometic in the Xtrek in the back door space. The door shelters you from rain if you have to rummage around in the reefer.

RuralGuy likes this.
  13. RuralGuy

RuralGuy New Member

10 footer is tiny. 18 hours to get a scout for about $10.5 k, 11 hours to get an Ascape for $15k. At least I'll have a place to sleep on the return trip!

GypsyH and Rik Peery like this.
  14. RuralGuy

RuralGuy New Member

That's very encouraging. What does the (M) mean in your post? Elec brakes for sure!

15. GypsyH

GypsyH New Member

Manual mode. Move the shifter left while in drive. You can use the paddle shifters from drive to downshift, I do it all the time, saves brake wear big time

16. RuralGuy

RuralGuy New Member

Thanks. I should have been able to figure that out. I'll practice without the trailer :rolleyes:

17. GypsyH

GypsyH New Member

So all our conversation leads to what it's all about, right? :) This morning! NagsHead OI.jpg

18. RuralGuy

RuralGuy New Member

Ahh....

19. RuralGuy

RuralGuy New Member

Update: spent much of the day checking out RVs that I can tow with my 2015 Outback. These included the Ascape, the T@b 320 S, the Aliner Scout Lite, and the Aliner Ranger 12. I also poked into some Airstreams, knowing they are too heavy but wanting to check out their build and design.

I'm leaning heavily toward the Aliner Ranger 12 base. I love the space in it compared to the others, and build quality is ok (subject to the bad experiences and reviews you are familiar with).

I found a dealer four hours away that will sell it for about the price of the very similar rig from a dealer 18 hours away, so it would be realistic to get warranty service.

I'd appreciate your input on the following:
    $14,592 for the 2019 Aliner Ranger 12 base with a couple of extras
    Here's the configuration-
    Furnace
    Stove
    Fantastic fan
    Water on demand
    A/C
    Lifter/wind protector
    Dual propane tanks with regulator, filled
    Standard frig, no freezer
    New deep cycle battery
    Link
    What do you think of the price and configuration?

Thanks again for your help.

Rik Peery likes this.
  20. Yacoma99

Yacoma99 Member

I have a 2018 Ranger 12 setup just like that with the off road package. You will like that configuration. The price seems reasonable since you are buying during the dealer’s peak selling season.

Byrd_Huntr and RuralGuy like this.