Aliner Ranger 10 and Honda Odyssey?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by VelociRaider, May 16, 2019.

1. VelociRaider

VelociRaider New Member

Hi all, would a Aliner Ranger 10 and Honda Odyssey make an ideal pair? If so, upgrades would you recommend to the Honda (I.e. transmission cooler, etc)? We don’t own either yet - but will consider something like a Ridgeline truck if the minivan is inadequate. Thank you!

Patrick

1380ken likes this.
  2. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

I have no idea what the towing capacity is of the Odyssey. Below is the bare weight of that Ranger so with gear and water, might go over 2000lbs. We do recommend staying well below whatever max capacity the manufacture claims, your tow machine has.

Found on the web.
    Aliner Ranger 10
    Dual Bunk, Length feet 12' 8" Width inches 78" Road Height inches 58" Weight lbs 1383 lbs Tires and Wheels 13" ...

3. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

The 2019 dry weight is 1200 with a GVWR of 2500 lbs. You can tow that without an issue, in fact you may hardly notice it is even there.

I have a Pacifica so I can not directly speak to the Odyssey but my older 1200 lb popup was very easy to tow with my Pacifica.

4. VelociRaider

VelociRaider New Member

Thank you for your replies. The 3.5L V6 Honda Odyssey is rated to tow up to 3500 lbs. Since it is rated to tow more than the weight of the Aliner Ranger 10, would it be safe to use it regularly as a tow vehicle without excessive wear to the van? What kind of extra equipment would I need aside from hitch and electric hookup (ex: transmission cooler, transmission temp gauge, etc)? Is that kind of stuff appropriate for the Ranger, or am I overthinking it? Thanks!

Patrick

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

You should be good to tow with it, but do look at the payload capacity of the van and be sure your numbers are lighter than what is posted. I know of many who towed with an odyssey and love it. A common problem with many minivans is the squat so may need airbags or something to help the squat. However best to hook everything up to see how it looks first. Transmission cooler is a very good idea to have.

6. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

I would recommend finding an Odyssey forum and looking at their towing section. Air bags are a must and easy to install. You may not need a transmission cooler.

7. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

The Odyssey is a very good tow vehicle, I have been towing with one for 11 years. That pup weight will not be an issue at all. Install a tranny cooler (aftermarket) hitch and wiring. If the back end of the odyssey squats down too low after you are hitched up (due to hitch weight), then I would recommend adding air bags. You will be all set. I have towed 10s of thousands of miles with my Odys and they don't miss a beat. Depending upon your pup brake situation, I would encourage you to learn how to downshift to slow things down going down hill when towing the camper - works great.