Am I safe using a tarp as a cover?

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by jberreth007, Oct 25, 2016.

1. jberreth007

jberreth007 Renoing our 91 Palomino TXL-LB!!! So much work!!!

Sep 21, 2015
    So, with all the extra expenses of buy the camper and parts, a camper cover just wasn't in the budget. I assumed I was fine to use a tarp and secure it tight with bungee cords. But then I read today that it isn't good to use a tarp as moisture can build up. Can anyone give me a hint. Should I tarp her or not? I have to assume it's better than leaving her exposed all winter.
    Thanks

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Re: I'm I safe using a tarp as a cover?

The need is for air circulation, to prevent entrapment of moisture, mildew, in sunny times heat build up (especially damaging for ABS roofs).
    If you read through this winter storage section, you'll find ideas for using tarps safely, such as pool noodles to provide air space.

3. jberreth007

jberreth007 Renoing our 91 Palomino TXL-LB!!! So much work!!!

Sep 21, 2015
    Re: I'm I safe using a tarp as a cover?

Ok. I'll read through some of that stuff. And thanks for the idea for the pool noodle. I bet they would save my edges from the wear and tear of the tarp as well!
    Thanks

4. jnellis01

jnellis01 Love to Travel

Jul 4, 2014
    I live in So Calif(desert), its a rule not to cover the popup top, because the tarp creates additional heat to the top, which bakes the top, which separates the abs from the fiberglass. I experienced the baking after listening to ill advise.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Our pup was never covered, sat out in the elements year round with no issues..