Amp Lock - Serious Security

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by generok, Apr 18, 2018.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Ok, so I just went to the Dark Side last week, and I was paranoid about the trailer getting stolen out of my driveway. I did some research and came up with Amp Lock. I ordered it from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/AMPLOCK-U-BR...24109377&sr=1-2&keywords=amplock+trailer+lock

WOW! This is one solid piece of steel! I'm fairly certain the only option is plasma cutting the coupler off to get around this beast. It was pricey, but if you read how MANY folks bought this lock AFTER they had a trailer stolen with other locks on them... I figured I'd splurge.

I feel better now.

Orchid likes this.
  2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I have what is considered a desirable TT brand by some, but ain't no way I am spending 265 bucks on a hitch lock. I am comfortable with a simple padlock and a good insurance policy.

Toolmaker13 and jnc like this.
  3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    I have stand alone insurance on the TT, like xxxapache I just use a padlock..

4. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    At home, I don't have to worry about theft. My truck and car are parked in front of it. At my mother's property, I'd be afraid to leave it. I have considered the coupler lock, but also removing the crank handle and leaving in the up position. Still, I'd worry about it being stolen with nobody there.

5. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    The maintenance man at the lot where mine was stolen told me that a battery powered saws all will cut anything out there. He has had to do that on abandoned vehicles.

6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    My father had a trailer stolen from his yard. He didn't have any kind lock on it but it was in his yard. The perps just drove up and hitched up and drove away while my parents were gone for the day. A coupler lock would have stopped it happening.

I use one on my trailers regardless of where they are parked.

The lock in the original post is serious. Is it overkill? Maybe....

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    I think if they want it they will take it. Battery grinder or sawzall means no worries. Lock will prevent "opportunity" theft though.

8. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK

This is a video of actual thieves trying to bust off an Amp Lock... They came prepared, it wasn't opportunistic. I just feel better with it on. I leave the trailer in boondock situations unattended. I feel better knowing this is there versus a padlock out in the middle of nowhere.

Let me tell you, I've held this in my hand... a sawzall isn't gong to touch this. Grinder... if 20 minutes of a spark shower isn't a deterrant, then they are going to take your trailer no matter what, so... Anyway, I like it. Insurance covers the Blue Book value, not the contents... this trailer often holds my UTV, hunting gear and other items.

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Looks pretty sturdy and at the very least they would make so much noise that you would awaken.

I have an alarm system 3 mean as heck dogs in the yard, and a 12 ga. we have very little thievery in our area tho. Everyone out here are mostly red neck farmers an are well armed. I do use a padlock (case hardened) on the tongue of all my trailers main reason is to keep them on the hitch ball.

10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Unattended and boondocked, I would be more worried about vandalism than theft.

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  11. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    X 2 anyone can get into a unit if they desire, as my Dad used to say locks are there to keep honest people honest.

12. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Nova Scotia
    Lol. Stealing a travel trailer in the snow isn't exactly going to attract attention or anything. Seeing that going down the road wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb.

13. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I don't think it's overkill at all. If I had a pricey trailer, I would have one, insurance or not.

Actually, I think I'll have our son buy one for the TT he lives in. It would be nearly impossible for anyone to get to it, due to the location on our property, but still think $265 is a perfectly acceptable price for peace of mind.

generok likes this.
  14. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    The thing with lighter weight trailers is you don't have to have access to the actual ball to steal it. Around here it is pretty common for thieves to simply wrap and secure the safety chains around a hitch and pull it away. Happens a lot with utility and box trailers around here. They just need to get it away and to a secluded safe spot to do their work. I use a hitch lock, wrap the chains and run a decent sized padlock through them so they stay put, and a cheap wheel lock that is more of a visual deterrent than anything else.

omahadlr likes this.