Aniod for water heater will not come out.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by Sjm9911, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Title says it all. 4 days of penetrating grease, giant socket set with cheater bar. I started almost to lift the pup. Next was the impact driver, nothing, the bolt sat there , i sware it laughed. So , the question is, do i try to heat it up next? Alternates to try? Maybe drill it out and a hacksaw to cut out the rest? Or live with it untill it craps out. Probubly last a few years, i can always get the portable propane hot water heater. Ideas?

Orchid likes this.
  2. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Ours was like that when we bought the camper. It was an ongoing issue for DAYS. I wish I could tell you how we finally got it out, but I don't remember. We probably wore it down with all the tactics we were using and it finally gave. I'm pretty sure it was the original one from 1999.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    How do you drain the tank? When was the last time you had it out? Drill it out, since its aluminum it will be easy to drill. I don't think I would use a hacksaw, it would be too easy to cut the threads in the tank nipple. The bigger the hole you drill, the easier it will be to twist out

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I had a very stubborn rod as well last year. I put lots of PB blaster on it, a few choice words, giving up trying it again the next day and the next just when I was about to give up again I decided to stand on the wrench (litterly) and after falling a couple times it actually moved a little. That little bit was enough to work on it the rest of the way out. I cleaned the hole as best as I could and I'll tell you, I was so nervous putting the new rod in. For fear I will have a repeat.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Porobubly is original so 18 years old. , it does drain to a point, the lowest connection. I dont have a bypass but have to unscrew and plug. The hacksaw is an old plumbers trick, you cut in 4 directions then pull off the treads. Usefull for 100 year old pipes. Mine looks to be copper, i didnt look at it closely.

6. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Yes , i used the pb blaster, 4 days now and nada. If the impact drill dint take it out, i dont think its coming out without help!

7. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Get a bigger cheater bar. Put the 1 1/16" socket on a breaker bar, put a pipe on the breaker bar, pull or hang off the pipe.

I'd be very careful with the propane torch... there's a lot of styrofoam insulation around the tank. A heat gun might be a little better. Do you have access to a 1/2" drive air impact wrench?

Keep at it. Keep putting penetrating oil on it. Eventually, it will come with the right amount of torque.

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Im guessing you didnt read what i posted! 4 days penitrating oil. Cheater bar and big socket set, ( yes it will crap on the small ones) only lifted the pup. Im strong and weigh a bit. Air impact driver did nothing. , absolutly nothing. All good advice still, but too no avail. Thats why im asking .

9. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I read it... there's no magic trick. Either add more torque until catastrophic failure or it turns. Other than that, leave it in and don't sweat it.

Best of luck.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    I know about the hacksaw trick as I have used it a lot, but like I said my fear is cutting into the aluminum threads in the tank. I can believe a cheap impact won't take it out. Know anyone or where you can get/borrow a larger impact preferably an inch drive with a little heat.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Bywater

Bywater New Member

Dec 27, 2017
    Dont go at it with a bigger cheater bar, your likely to twist the whole water heater breaking something.
    I had a crank nut on a MGB that wouldn't come off, so every day I would spray it with PB blaster before work and when I got home, then hit it with an impact. I did this for 2 weeks. I finely took it to work and used a bigger air compressor and thats what got it off.
    Keep hitting it with PBB for a week and the next time your going camping, swing by a mechanics shop and have them try. The quality of the impact and the volume of the air compressor make a BIG difference.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Ok got it thanks. Ill work on it a bit more. Just agravating. Yes when the pup started to move i was worrierd about ripping it out!

13. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    The quality of the impact and the volume of the air compressor make a BIG difference.[/QUOTE]
    My inch drive has over 1200ft lbs of torque and I know it will twist 7/8 bolts off.
    Find a shop that does truck tires and let them knock it out

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    I don't bother with air impact these days. I have a cordless DeWalt XR that works great.
    I use Deep Creep, or Freeze Off. Freeze Off has refrigerant in it, so it cools down what you're trying to remove and then the penetrating oil can get into the threads.

But it would be quicker and simpler to drill it out.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Escondido, CA
    Basic questions that I didn't see above.: What water heater do you have? Are you sure there is an anode in there? Some don't use them....

Sjm9911 likes this.
  16. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Are you turning it in the right direction? Just had to throw that out there. There is a medical freeze spray on Amazon I use. Hit the tank with a heat gut or propane torch to expand the anode hole internal thread area. Then hit the center of the anode with the freeze spray to shrink the anode external threads. Then hit it with PB Blaster. It may take a couple of heating / cooling / PB cycles to break down all the crud built up in the threads.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  17. rjniles

rjniles Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Georgetown SC
    After all these years I would leave it. You are likely to break something. I tried to get one out of my home WH and ended up buying a new one.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Usually only steel tanks have an anode, and the anode are also usually steel. I would drill out the center a little bite at a time, maybe after 3/8 with each large step try the socket and bar again.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  19. Sjm9911

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Im prety sute its a suburban 5 gall9n water heater. It has the aniod, and yes i was turing it the right way. I did rock it a bit to try and break it free. I might leave it in and just shop vac the little water thats left in it. I will give it another try tomorrow when i get out of work.

20. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I would heat it with a torch, turn it as if tightening it with a pretty good amount of force and then immediately try to loosen it.